Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer freezes after reinstall of Windows XP Professional

This is a discussion on Computer freezes after reinstall of Windows XP Professional within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell computer that has been customized. It was crashing and freezing and not allowing my son to

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I have a Dell computer that has been customized. It was crashing and freezing and not allowing my son to play online games so I decided to reinstall Windows using a Dell OEM disc. I tried to install through the autoplay function but when the computer rebooted it froze on the Windows start up screen. I reinstalled from the CD instead but when it rebooted the message said the product needed to be activated. I chose "yes" to activate now, and it froze. I reinstalled this time using the repair utility and I am back to a rebooted computer frozen on the Windows screen (the screen with the colored flag logo) saying Please Wait (for the past 2+ hours) with no signs of life from the CPU.... Any ideas what to try next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Boot the computer and press F12 and do the Dell Diagnostics.
It sounds like the HDD is failing. You can also download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature and burn the CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD This may solve the problem, but if either tests fails the HDD needs to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
CCT
Helper

" I reinstalled from the CD instead but when it rebooted the message said the product needed to be activated. I chose "yes" to activate now, and it froze."

Do another install using the quick format, then DON'T agree to activate now.

Get your chipset drivers installed if they aren't included on that CD and make sure you can get on line (ethernet drivers).

Once on line, THEN activate.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search