Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer Crashes Often

This is a discussion on Computer Crashes Often within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. My computer has been crashing often (every 30 mins - 2 hrs, usually) whenever I use it, but I

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #1

Hi. My computer has been crashing often (every 30 mins - 2 hrs, usually) whenever I use it, but I can do everything else normally and it runs fine. It's been like this for a long time, I think I've had this computer for 3 or so years, and It's probably been crashing for 1 and a half. I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I've tried what I could.

I even got a new video card and RAM a while back and put them in, but it continued to crash.

I tried using only one stick of RAM in each slot, like the "Crashing Consistently" thread, and switching slots (I have 2 slots each with 1 gig of RAM) but it still crashes no matter what.

I unchecked "Restart Automatically" in my settings.

I ran "sfc /purgecache", "sfc /scannow" with my Windows CD, but that did not help.

Any suggestions would be great--Me and my friends are completely stumped. If you need any info just ask, (though you may need to tell me how to get it--I still don't know a lot).

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #2

Oh, I also tried Re-Formatting--mainly because I wanted to anyway.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

i think you need a new power supply and cooling system. i think that because the pc is over heating it is restarting itself. have you checked in the system event viewer if you get any errors. right click on my computer then manage and you will find it there. also go in the bios and check your pc's temperature and try cleaning the fan if tha helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #4

Thanks, yeah, sometimes i do open it up to clean out the fan because it gets really loud (fan gets clogged up or w/e).

there are some logs in the event viewer (don't know what to do with them though)

But I think you were right about the temp. of my computer... here's some info including my CPU temperature using SensorsView.... any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.bmp
Views:	52
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	25589  
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #5

uup to 225 degrees.. bleh
Closed Thread