Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Computer Boots To Desktop Then "BSOD" And Reboots

This is a discussion on Computer Boots To Desktop Then "BSOD" And Reboots within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, I have Windows XP on my system and I have ran into a problem. Suddenly it stopped booting

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #1

Roll Eyes

Hello everyone,
I have Windows XP on my system and I have ran into a problem. Suddenly it stopped booting properly one day and now this is what happens:

- Everything runs thorugh BIOS fine
- Windows XP Loads properly
- The welcome screen loads and desktop is displayed
- A few applications load
- The computer flashes the BSOD and it reboots and follows this process

The blue screen of death flashes to quickly for me to catch what it says. Basically Im not quite sure what it is becuase I havent installed anything new and havent added any new hardware or drivers. I have also tried running my computer in safe mode and the simular thing happens.

If anyone has an idea as to what might be causing it and if I can recover it w/o losing all of my data please leave a post...

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Troubled

Navigate to "Administrative Tools" and find the "Event Manager". Sometimes it's log will tell you what went wrong just before the BSOD to help you isolate the cause.

From the command line, run chkdsk with the repair option, or you could do it in windows, I supposed. HD errors can cause this, and it is one of the easiest things to fix.

Also, consider running system restore, particularly if you have recently installed new hardware or software. That can also be a "magic bullet" fix that saves time.

AND (full of ideas today), verifying that you can boot into Safe Mode is a good thing to know, and will provide a sense of where the problem is and is not. It wouldn't hurt to run Ad-Aware & anti-virus while there.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #3

I looked through the Event Viewer and it was all blank, everytime I tried to view a section I got an error...

As for system restore....It is actually disabled which blows up that idea

And as for spyware and what not its actually not installed on this computer

So basically the computer I'm trying to fix is screwed, theres no spyware removers or even system restore, do you have any other ideas which may possibly cause a reboot? When its loading windows it seems to flash blue, for a quick second...And then after windows loads it flashes the BSOD and reboots...

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Troubled

See if you can get it to Safe Mode.

Run whatever AV program you may have. (Please tell me you at least have that.) And schedule a chkdsk.

Also, it may be possible to try to boot the system with an alternative to the "C:" Drive. But this may be more difficult that simply doing a complete reinstall; it depends upon the value of your data, settings & installed programs.

This could be hardware related. (You want this, as it means your data (may) be still okay.

Have you installed anything new lately ?
Closed Thread