Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

command prompt is acting weird after we cleaned the computer

This is a discussion on command prompt is acting weird after we cleaned the computer within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hey... my command prompt is like showing like symbols and letters... and like near the bottom it will have words..

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

hey... my command prompt is like showing like symbols and letters... and like near the bottom it will have words.. like if i type in "cmd" the ip stuff dont show up instead a whole page of random things pop up and some are symbol like and no its not the font... also i think i deleted some kind of folder that allows me to remove and add things to the computer... now i cant open certain folders or i cant download anything... help... thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What do you mean by cleaned the computer?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
if i type in "cmd" the ip stuff dont show up ialso i think i deleted some kind of folder that allows me to remove and add things to the computer
Where are you typing CMD? If you are in the Run box and typing CMD it will load the command prompt and not show the "IP stuff" you would have to type ipconfg in the command prompt to get that. What is the exact words that you see when you type CMD? What folder did you delete that allows you to remove and add things? Add Remove Programs? Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. Does Add Remove Programs load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
What do you mean by cleaned the computer?
Like i deleted some files that i didnt need anymore to get the pc running better...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Where are you typing CMD? If you are in the Run box and typing CMD it will load the command prompt and not show the "IP stuff" you would have to type ipconfg in the command prompt to get that. What is the exact words that you see when you type CMD? What folder did you delete that allows you to remove and add things? Add Remove Programs? Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. Does Add Remove Programs load?
Thats wierd... it shows.. up... but wen i click add and remove programs in control panel it wont let me it, says "application not found" and i cant open certain folders.. and i cant download anything... OH and wen i type in ipconfig in the run box all that shows up is a small window and it shows the different icons of which one i can open it with... thats wat is says at the top "open with"... and thats all... and wen i type in for the command prompt like you said.. it shows up a bunch of wierd boxes and symbols and some words... but inbetween each letter of the word it cuts is with a little box... so idk.. i think i deleted a folder while cleaning out the things i didnt need...
Old 07-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
OH and wen i type in ipconfig in the run box all that shows up is a small window
You cannot type ipconfig in the Run box, this will just give you an error. In the Run box, you would type CMD and press enter. In the command prompt you would type ipconfig or ipconfig /all.
If you feel that you deleted some files that you need, go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing or corrupted files from the CD.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
You cannot type ipconfig in the Run box, this will just give you an error. In the Run box, you would type CMD and press enter. In the command prompt you would type ipconfig or ipconfig /all.
If you feel that you deleted some files that you need, go to Start/Run and type SFC /scannow and press enter. Put the XP CD in and it will replace any missing or corrupted files from the CD.
Sorry none of that works... all that shows up is the small window that says "open with..." so im feeling srewed now... and everytime i open it with notepad or wordpad the symbol things and such like i said pops up...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Boot off of the XP CD Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
nope wont work... anything typed in the run box now goes to the little window that says "open with".... and i didnt ge a cd with this comupter... i friend lended it to me.. and i am unable to download things... bc i tried downloading mozilla firefox and the whole downloading completed but ther was no mozzilla firefox on the screen nor in any of my folders...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
None of the steps in this quote ask you to use the Run box and you do not need to have a recovery CD. If you follow the steps in the quote, on a working computer, download the Recovery Console ISO burn it to a CD and boot off of the newly created CD on the troubled computer and run Check Disk. This is also why you do not have an internet connection as per your other post.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
None of the steps in this quote ask you to use the Run box and you do not need to have a recovery CD. If you follow the steps in the quote, on a working computer, download the Recovery Console ISO burn it to a CD and boot off of the newly created CD on the troubled computer and run Check Disk. This is also why you do not have an internet connection as per your other post.
So i can download it on my bigger comupter that isnt having problems and download it onto a CD and then put it in the laptop that is having probs... correct?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
Yes, follow the steps in the quote. On another internet computer that can burn CD's download the ISO file and burn it to CD then take the CD over to the damaged PC and boot from it, following the steps in the quote, run the command.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, follow the steps in the quote. On another internet computer that can burn CD's download the ISO file and burn it to CD then take the CD over to the damaged PC and boot from it, following the steps in the quote, run the command.
yeh thnks... ima try that
Old 07-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

• Download EXE File Association Fix and Save it to your Desktop.
  • If necessary, download to USB drive and run it from the drive.
  • Extract the reg file and double-click xp_exe_fix.reg
  • Answer 'Yes' to merge/add it to the registry.
  • Click 'OK'.
  • X out of the window.
------------------------------------------------------

Proud member of UNITE

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2014, 2015
Closed Thread