Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Closed?

This is a discussion on Closed? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. https://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...se-276798.html @Dai: i know it is pirating or whatever but i since the cpoes installed can be activated and went

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...se-276798.html

@Dai: i know it is pirating or whatever but i since the cpoes installed can be activated and went through genuine advantage and able to donwload updates and in the same time operate for more than a year already

Even if it is pirating, for a non IT person like me how am i suppose to know it can't be installed in multiple computers. I mean shouldn't like microsoft checked during activation...

If it can go through activation, shouldn't it be legal then

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Hello jarod,

dai's original answer to you is quite correct, because you are inferring piracy, which is strictly illegal.

To clarify matters, please read this....

The Microsoft® EULA (End User Licence Agreement) clearly states that you only have a 'licence' to use their software, and you never "own" it.
You agreed to the EULA when you pressed F8 Key during the installation setup.
You are supposed to have read and agreed to the EULA before proceeding with the next phase of the installation.

In another section of the EULA it states that you can only use one Product Key per computer, unless you have purchased a VLK (Volume Licence Key), or if the 'original' computer is no longer being used.
(However there are strict conditions that apply to this...you will need to contact Microsoft®.)

With that said, an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Licence is only valid for the original machine on which it is installed....any changes to the Hardware composition of a computer, with an OEM Licence, requires the purchase of a new Product Key.

The only situation where you can legally use the Product Key again on the same machine is if you had to wipe the Hard Drive and reinstall the Operating System (Windows®), due to file corruption, or replacement of a faulty item of Hardware.

In any case you will need to contact your nearest Microsoft® Support Centre on the telephone for verification and validation.

This is all the information that we are able to give you; should you require any more...contact your nearest Microsoft® Support Centre directly on the telephone for further advice.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Closed Thread