Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Clean install of XP guide

This is a discussion on Clean install of XP guide within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. While discussing another issue this was mentioned Originally Posted by gsm This link might be of interest: Guide For Doing

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gsm
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: XP[HP]32SP[23] AOS 5.0.1 Past: W2KSSP4 W2KW W98SE Slackware Ubuntu SUSE DOS UNIX Z/OS PDP-11

While discussing another issue this was mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
This link might be of interest: Guide For Doing A Clean Install Of Windows XP

It says Firefox ESR will be supported until Sept 2018 [...]

And another interesting link: Windows XP Unofficial Service Pack 4
I always have found majorgeeks curated software good. Anyone have experience with XP USP4?

The techguy post suggests removing:
  • Bitlocker To Go Reader (NR)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (OB)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (OB)
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 (OB)
  • MSN Explorer (OB)
  • Outlook Express (OB)
  • XPS Services (SV)

I like to know the reasons why I am doing things so I added these codes to the original list:
  • NR = Not required / you are unlikely to ever use feature
  • OB = Obsolete feature assuming you have no software that will need this in future
  • SV = security vulnerabilities

Would you agree these are the likely reasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
gsm
Registered Member

I still use Outlook Express as my primary email program and it works fine so I would not call it obsolete. I have been using OE for somewhat over 20 years now and I am so used to it that it is one of the main reasons I am sticking with Win XP. It is still compatible with email protocols and has given me no problems. I would not recommend anybody start with OE now but I intend to stick with it as long as I can.

This is in contrast with browsers because HTML has evolved so much and old browsers are not compatible with new web pages any more.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: XP[HP]32SP[23] AOS 5.0.1 Past: W2KSSP4 W2KW W98SE Slackware Ubuntu SUSE DOS UNIX Z/OS PDP-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm View Post
I still use Outlook Express as my primary email program and it works fine so I would not call it obsolete. I have been using OE for somewhat over 20 years now and I am so used to it that it is one of the main reasons I am sticking with Win XP. It is still compatible with email protocols and has given me no problems. I would not recommend anybody start with OE now but I intend to stick with it as long as I can.

This is in contrast with browsers because HTML has evolved so much and old browsers are not compatible with new web pages any more.
IIRC OE and MS office outlook both have an IE dependency for HTML message processing - that is not good for security risks. It is obsolete if you consider how many people moved to webmail with generous cloud storage. I guess this is to encourage browser based web mail eg hotmail.com, gmail.com etc.

I found rule based processing was getting really good in hotmail.com then they took out some great features (sweep 10 days to a folder). That is the problem with webmail they can change the behaviour and features anytime they like and junk up the screen with adverts. For a large amount of basic users webmail should make them less likely to get in trouble compared to local email client.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #4
gsm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceQ View Post
IIRC OE and MS office outlook both have an IE dependency for HTML message processing - that is not good for security risks.
I have a different view. I have disabled everything so all it does is display the HTML text. It will not process any scripts and it probably would not even understand the newer things. So I consider this a feature, not a bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceQ View Post
It is obsolete if you consider how many people moved to webmail with generous cloud storage. I guess this is to encourage browser based web mail eg hotmail.com, gmail.com etc.
I have no interest in any webmail and this for several reasons.

(1) is that OE works fine for me and I have over 20 years worth of email stored there. I know my way around it and can find an email within seconds no matter how old it is. No need to struggle with a new different interface every year.

(2) is that often my connectivity is quite bad, slow and unreliable so I am better off having all my storage locally. I copy the OE files to a pendrive and copy them to my different computers so I have all my emails in my different computers.

(3)Web mail is a pain and requires good connectivity. I have about a dozen email accounts and OE handles them fine. I am not about to go to separate sites to get each email account nor am I willing to give one account all my email. Google, MS, etc. already know more about me than I am comfortable with. I would rather keep my accounts separate.

(4) I do not trust the "cloud". As someone said, there is no "cloud"; there is only your own computers over which you have some control and other people's computers over which you have no control. I know many cases of people who had photos, emails, etc. in the cloud only to find out they were gone forever.

Quote:
That is the problem with webmail they can change the behaviour and features anytime they like and junk up the screen with adverts. For a large amount of basic users webmail should make them less likely to get in trouble compared to local email client.
Yup. I hate it when they change the interface and I need to learn everything all over again. No thanks.

Again, I have been using OE for over twenty years without a hitch. I find it convenient and have never had a virus or lost an email. I plan to keep using it as long as I can.
RaceQ likes this.
Closed Thread