Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Clean install of windows xp on dell inspion 5100 notebook

This is a discussion on Clean install of windows xp on dell inspion 5100 notebook within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have tried all methods suggested on Dell faq,s to boot xp from cd, pressing F2 only gives me the

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #1

Confused

I have tried all methods suggested on Dell faq,s to boot xp from cd, pressing F2 only gives me the option of booting windows normally,can anyone tell me how to do a clean install , wipe the hard drive,repartition and reload XP Home.I have also tried pressing F12 to boot from cd. Please help .Thanks Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #2

Hello,

This is Richard from Dell's Online Community Outreach group. The way to boot to the install cd is by pressing F12. You must do this as soon as the Dell logo screen appears which is right after pressing the power button. Pressing F12 will prompt the one time boot menu. Look for CD/DVD/CR-RW, select it by using the up/down arrows. When it is highlighted press the enter key.

When the system tries to boot off the cd-rom drive, there will be a message on screen that says, "Press any key to boot from cd". This is a confirmation that you want to boot from cd-rom instead of the hard drive, just press the space bar to acknowledge the request. Problem is that if you do not press a key within like 3 seconds the system will automatically boot from the hard drive so you must be quick to press the space bar.

This should then take you to the installation process.

Good luck,

Richard B
Dell Online Community Outreach
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #3

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellCA View Post
Hello,

This is Richard from Dell's Online Community Outreach group. The way to boot to the install cd is by pressing F12. You must do this as soon as the Dell logo screen appears which is right after pressing the power button. Pressing F12 will prompt the one time boot menu. Look for CD/DVD/CR-RW, select it by using the up/down arrows. When it is highlighted press the enter key.

When the system tries to boot off the cd-rom drive, there will be a message on screen that says, "Press any key to boot from cd". This is a confirmation that you want to boot from cd-rom instead of the hard drive, just press the space bar to acknowledge the request. Problem is that if you do not press a key within like 3 seconds the system will automatically boot from the hard drive so you must be quick to press the space bar.

This should then take you to the installation process.

Good luck,

Richard B
Thank you for your reply Richard, but as you can see from my post I have tried F12 Repeatedly. I think there is a fault in the Dell partition on the hard drive. There is a bad or failed install of xp there. is there any way to rewrite the dell partition to correct the problem. Thanks again Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #4

Okay, so you are saying that you are completely unable to access the cd-rom drive to begin the Windows installation? If the hard drive has an issue or not that should not prevent you from booting up the computer from the cd-rom drive.

There are two further questions.

Do you know for sure if the cd-rom is functional (was it working while in Windows)?

What Windows installation cd are you using (what Windows version is it and where did you get it)?

Thanks,

Richard B
Old 09-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellCA View Post
Okay, so you are saying that you are completely unable to access the cd-rom drive to begin the Windows installation? If the hard drive has an issue or not that should not prevent you from booting up the computer from the cd-rom drive.

There are two further questions.

Do you know for sure if the cd-rom is functional (was it working while in Windows)?

What Windows installation cd are you using (what Windows version is it and where did you get it)?

Thanks,

Richard B

Hi again Richard,
I dont know why I cant boot from cd but I have now managed to get the computer functional again.

The cd drive is working perfectly.

The Windows version is XP Home and it is the one that came with the computer( original ) plus I have all the Dell installation cds.it now seems to be working ok but it still has that bad partition. Anyway THanks for your help. If I Can do anything to help you please dont hesitate to ask .

Andy Bartolo ([email protected]
Closed Thread