Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Checkdisk Errors

This is a discussion on Checkdisk Errors within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am still using Windows XP SP3 on an old PC for some tasks, mainly due to software I

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:08 AM   #1
I helped the forums.

My System

Hi

I am still using Windows XP SP3 on an old PC for some tasks, mainly due to software I need not being compatible with later a OS.

Whenever I carry run an occasional chkdsk on my System Drive I frequently get error messages. Running a chkdsk fix as suggested doesn't fix it although running a repair does - until the next time, when errors reappear.

These so called errors do not appear to cause any problem when running the PC. I am wondering what might be the cause of these repeated error report and whether I can ignore them.

I attach a screen shot of the display after running chkdsk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Check Disc C PC.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	320396  
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

That looks like you ran it as read only so that would not fix anything, here are the option for Chkdsk

Commands and parameters

The check disk utility has several parameters that you can use:

/c – applicable to a NTFS volume only

/f – this option fixes errors on a volume

/i – applicable to a NTFS volume only. This option performs a check of index entries

/r – this option also implies the /f and /p option. This option locates the bad sectors of your hard drive and recovers any readable information

Depending if you run the utility from Command Prompt or Recovery Console, the following parameters are different:

/p – this fixes any errors on a volume. In your standard Command Prompt /p is only read-only

The mandatory requirement of this utility is the volume you’re about to check must not be locked. If a volume you’re about to scan is locked, you’ll receive this message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked
the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

If so, type Y and press Enter to perform a scan at the next boot of your system.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:25 AM   #3
I helped the forums.

My System

I thought I had explained that I run chkdsk first to see whether the drive is OK then, if it indicates there are problems I then carry out the recommended action - in this case a chkdsk/f.

As I further explained, the errors are usually corrected by running chkdsk /r, which takes ages, but the errors invariably return.

I really wanted to know what might be causing these errors and, given they don't seem to effect the running of the PC, whether they can be ignored.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

In your Event Viewer, look for Wininit under Source. Then CHKDSK. Now you can see what Check Disc actually found. It's easier if you copy the log to the clipboard and put it into Notebook to be read at leisure. You can post a "troublesome" entry here for more help.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
I helped the forums.

My System

Thanks for the info - I will investigate further when I next use the PC.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

If the problems reoccur, most likely the hard drive is too old and needs replacement.
Using Windows XP for certain software use is fine as long as you keep the pc off the internet it can work for years but you should not run it on the internet as there is no real way to protect it any more.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

From what I saw of your results, there are no bad sectors which is good and the errors found were within the Usn journal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USN_Journal

Quote:
The USN Journal (Update Sequence Number Journal), or Change Journal,[1] is a feature of NTFS which maintains a record of changes made to the volume. It is not to be confused with the journal used for the NTFS file system journaling.

When Windows 2000 was released, Microsoft created NTFS version 3.0, which included several new features and improvements over older versions of the file system. One of these was a new system management feature that is very useful for certain types of applications. Under Windows 2000, NTFS 3.0 partitions can be set to keep track of changes to files and directories on the volume, providing a record of when and what was done to the various objects. When enabled, the system records all changes made to the volume in the USN Journal, which is the name also used to describe the feature itself.

One journal is maintained for each NTFS volume and stored in the NTFS metafile named $Extend\$UsnJrnl. It begins as an empty file. Whenever a change is made to the volume, a record is added to the file. Each record is identified by a 64-bit Update Sequence Number or USN. (For this reason Change Journals are sometimes called USN Journals.) Each record in the Change Journal contains the USN, the name of the file, and information about what the change was.

The Change Journal describes the changes that took place using bit flags (e.g. USN_REASON_DATA_OVERWRITE[2]), therefore it does not include all the data or details associated with the change. For this reason the Change Journal cannot be used to undo operations on files within NTFS.
For some reason errors or corruptions are being found when accessing the journal, since there are no bad sectors reported during the tests Windows must be having problems keeping up with changes and this could most likely be when shutting down since all changes that have been cached will be saved at that time . Any possibility that shutdown is taking too long and is being given a helping hand when that happens ??

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
I helped the forums.

My System

Thanks - I don't usually have a problem shutting down but I will bear that in mind and check out your link.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
Troubled

OS: 2008 Enterprise R2, Mac Mojave, Win 10, Win 7, Ubuntu, Unix, Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Thanks - I don't usually have a problem shutting down but I will bear that in mind and check out your link.
Win XP makes it easy to do a repair overload. I would just start the computer with the XP disk and do a a load that maintains your files and settings and see what happens, although I might well clone the drive to a new one first and see what Chkdsk tells you.

Also look at the event viewer under both Application and System and sort according to level- so yo can put any "red events' in one line and see what other errors you are having in the system that could relate to the problem.

Tom in Dallas/Plano
Old 06-21-2018, 01:20 AM   #10
I helped the forums.

My System

Hi

I'll certainly have a closer look at The information provided in Event Viewer but replacing the Hard Drive is not an option given the age of the PC.

I also am unable to use the XP installation disc as it doesn't work - it was installed as XP and has had three subsequent online service pack updates and literally hundreds of windows updates.

As this problem doesn't affect the operation of the PC I will leave well alone. I just thought that there might be a simple solution!

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #11
Troubled

Quote:
Hi

I'll certainly have a closer look at The information provided in Event Viewer but replacing the Hard Drive is not an option given the age of the PC.

I also am unable to use the XP installation disc as it doesn't work - it was installed as XP and has had three subsequent online service pack updates and literally hundreds of windows updates.

As this problem doesn't affect the operation of the PC I will leave well alone. I just thought that there might be a simple solution!

Thanks anyway.
The event viewer will contain info which should be useful if you need to solve a problem- think of it as an ODBII scanner when you have a check engine light in your car.

Look especially for errors with with the source being "disk" or "ntfs". There is a strong potential that one of these many updates is the cause of what you see.

TBB
Old 06-21-2018, 07:04 AM   #12
Troubled

Quote:
Hi

Thanks anyway.
Why would not replacing the hard drive bean option? There are plenty available and a multitude of free software to clone the HD, but first look at the event viewer and that will tell you if it is related to the HD at all.

TBB
Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
I helped the forums.

My System

I already make regular backups of my 2 drives but have already decided that I would dispose of the PC if any hardware failed. After all, it still works and it is 14 years old now and had a great deal of usage so I reckon I've had my money's worth from it.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I could not agree more...

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread