Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Change How App Starts

This is a discussion on Change How App Starts within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. XP Pro_SP3 I'm not referring to creating a shortcut and selecting Run > Normal > Minimized > Maximized. I've got

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

XP Pro_SP3

I'm not referring to creating a shortcut and selecting Run > Normal > Minimized > Maximized.

I've got an app that starts in the system tray (notification area). I need some kind of command
launcher that will start the app with an open window.

Most google searches produce a list of apps that will minimize any window to the tray. With my
app the tray icon is ok. I want to see the window when it starts. The app itself does not provide
that option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

When an app is in the system tray, it is running in the background and starts with Windows. If you want the app to appear when you start Windows
Find the app in C:\Program Files copy the .exe file, Browse to
C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\StartMenu\Programs\Startup and drag or paste the shortcut there.
and Also place it in, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\StartMenu\StartMenu\Programs\Startup
Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, spunk.funk.

Wow! 35,814 posts!

I have to ask, did you actually read my post? I'm an advanced computer user. I create scripts that
control all the installed software. What I'm searching for has nothing to do with programs that
start with Windows.

I don't want this app to start with Windows. If I did, it would load in the tray. There would never
be a visible window.

When I decide to run this app, I want to see the open window. Unfortunately, this app always
starts in the tray. How can I force this app to start as an open window? I need command lines
(that I'll include in a script) or a seperate command supported app that will force a visible window.

The scripts I create are for my business and home office. There is a huge difference between an
"advanced" user and an expert like yourself. That's why I need advice or a command applet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I read your ad but was not clear what you wanted.
It would be most helpful if you told us what the app is? And have you tried contacting the software writer/manufacturer to see if they have a solution?