Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Change boot order

This is a discussion on Change boot order within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need to change the boot order in order to fix a problem with start up. How do I do

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

I need to change the boot order in order to fix a problem with start up. How do I do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Registered Member

You mean changed the boot order of your Physical Drives? If so, you want to hit F2 or F8, sometimes DEL (depending which type of machine you have) and you should enter BIOS when youre computer is booting. Let me know if that helps.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #3

Yep, it's easy. For instance this computer uses the Delete key to enter BIOS

With the computer completely shut down, I'll hold down the Delete key while re-starting the computer. In a few seconds I'm looking at a DOS-type BIOS screen.

Use the keyboard (arrows and ENTER) to navigate. There you should find a section called Boot Priority or something like that. Shuffle the drives into the order that you want, say SAVE and then EXIT (sometimes Esc)

You will have to find out from your comp builder what your majic key is.
If that's not possible, you could try Hit/Miss, you won't hurt anything if you're on the wrong key. It's probably one of the ones mentioned in this thread. But not F8 (that's SAFE MODE in XP.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I have a HP so i will try F2 and Del and see which one works.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #5

Here's a useful link with major Bios manufacturers and the keys they use:
https://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
Old 01-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

I was able to get the bios menu, and i thought i chaged the order but it would not ask for a disk when the cpu booted. Thanks for the help N E way
Old 01-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #7

I don't know what you are trying to do...you haven't said. But if you want to boot to a CD, then start your comp and insert the CD. Shut down your computer.
Now restart and you should be booting to the drive with the CD.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

I got an message saying that windows did not start successfully. It then gave me 5 options to try and fix the problem (safe mode, last config, and normal start up). None of those worked. So i was trying to boot from the CD so it would start up and i can fix the problem by doing a system restore or something. But I can't get past that menu because windows will not finish starting. I might end up having to restore the cpu to when i first got it. it is nerve rackin., but thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

If you have your bios set to boot from the cdrom first and it is still booting into Windows, that basically means one of two things. The CD you have is not bootable and could just be a recovery cd, or you don't have the settings in the bios set correctly.
Closed Thread