Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't turn off auto updates

This is a discussion on Can't turn off auto updates within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a machine on my network on which I can't turn off auto updates even when logged in as

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a machine on my network on which I can't turn off auto updates even when logged in as either the local or global administrator. The options to turn it off are just greyed out. Its not the only restriction on that machine. When I try to view hidden files and folders through My Computer, Each time I click OK, the option reverts back to not showing hidden files and folders.

Anyone seen this before? I need to switch off auto updates so IE9 doesn't install on the PC as its not compatible with an external essential service that the user users.

thanks.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

How to RESET ALL USER PERMISSIONS TO DEFAULT? - Microsoft Answers

The method described there is the only one I have experience with.

I would suggest you backup files as deemed necessary beforehand.

As a comment, either someone has played around with that comps' settings OR it has malware. In the latter case, it might be smarter to just copy off, wipe, reinstall and copy back (after thorough scans of the copied files).
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You can go to Windows Update and select IE9 and choose Do Not Show Me this again. And it will not prompt you for that update again.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Auto Updates happen - shouldn't
I recently changed my automatic updates setting because an update was interferring with Magic Jack - which is our Internet Phone Service. I asked MS to check for updates, but let me decide when or if to download them. During the night (the past 3 nights) there have been updates happening...
flydonna Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 6 05-31-2011 02:04 AM
Not sure what is going on...
I was recommended here through the following post in this forum: https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-updates-repeatedly-install-568442.html THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! DDS.TXT Results: . DDS (Ver_11-03-05.01) - NTFSx86
crazydiamond Inactive Malware Help Topics 22 05-28-2011 08:46 AM
lost Camera connection/ auto updates
I have just cleared up a lot of viruses on my desktop. In the process, I lost the window that pops up with options on what to do with my pictures when I connect a camera or other device to my computer. When I connect the device, the icon comes up on the bottom bar "safely remove" and it sounds...
Tammy53 Windows XP Support 0 05-26-2011 07:24 AM
Can't Turn on Automatic Updates
I started my computer up and it said that my antivirus wasn't updated, and my automatic updates was turned off. I tried to turn them off from windows security, and i get an error message saying it can't be done, try to do it from control panel. When i go into control panel it shows that the...
McLovin85 Resolved HJT Threads 1 03-23-2011 03:10 PM
my pc installed updates, and now wont turn on
basically, i downloaded updates on my pc while it was running then i restarted to install them, the pc said it was installing them when i booted up, it got to 100%, then it turned off. now, when i turn it on, the pc comes on, fan's and cpu cooler are on. but i get no display and no power to my...
Jordan2301 Hard Drive Support 1 01-12-2011 11:26 AM