Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't set correct email program in Internet Options

This is a discussion on Can't set correct email program in Internet Options within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was using Eudora as my main mail client for a couple of years but recently switched to Outlook Express

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #1

I was using Eudora as my main mail client for a couple of years but recently switched to Outlook Express because Eudora was getting kind of slow and causing a lot of complications.

Things seem to work OK, except a number of my incoming emails were disappearing from my inbox within a day or two of receiving them. I discovered they were being transferred to Eudora. So I uninstalled Eudora (which was listed in IE as my specified Email application).

Now I find I can't specify Outlook Express as my email application. If I open IE and go to Tools/Options/Programs and click on the email box, my only choices are Eudora (no longer installed) or IncrediMail, Microsoft Outlook and Windows Live Mail. I cannot get Outlook Express in that box.

But, Outlook Express does appear in that list as the preferred applications for newsgroups.

What's up with this? I don't want to lose more incoming emails soon after receipt to some unspecified location. I don't think Microsoft Outlook is really the same as Outlook Express. Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi Billcal,

its been a while since I used OE but I'm pretty sure if you open it and go to Tools -> Options, you should be able to make it your default mail program there.

Failing that, try 'Set Program Access and Defaults' which you should be able to find on your Start Menu.

Hope that helps
Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #3

Thanks. I'll try the Set Programs and Access approach and let you know if it works. The regular Tools/Options menu is the one that won't work for me. It only gives choices other than Outlook Express and I can't find a way to enter any new programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Ahh I thought you said the Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Options didn't work?? Outlook Express has its own Tools -> Options menu.

Anyway, please let us know how you get on.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #5

No, the Options menu in Outlook Express seems to be part of the problem. I can go in to Outlook Express Tools/Options and set Outlook Express as the default email application then click Apply and then OK, and it tells me that Outlook Express is now the default application. But every time I reopen Options to check it says that Outlook Express again is NOT the default.

This is weird. Then, as I said, I can't set it as the default in Internet Explorer either.

So I haven't got a clue where to go from here.
Closed Thread