Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't renew IP address

This is a discussion on Can't renew IP address within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had a problem for a few weeks now with the Ethernet connection on my computer, and subsequently i now

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've had a problem for a few weeks now with the Ethernet connection on my computer, and subsequently i now have no internet connection. I am no expert in these things and all i've managed to find out is that my computer cant renew its IP address. When entering it on CMD it comes up with

'An error has occurred whilst renewing your interface local area connection 4; Unable to connect your DHCP server. Request has timed out'

My computer was working fine before without any issue when using the Ethernet so i'm not sure what's caused this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hello and welcome to Tech Support Forum!

Reset TCP/IP and Winsock as follows;

Open Command Prompt and run the two command lines below:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

press Enter after each line. Exit Command Prompt and reboot.

We need some more info about your network setup:
Is this a home network or a workplace or school network? Are you connected to a wall socket (ethernet) or are you plugged in directly to a modem/router?
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Hello and welcome to Tech Support Forum!

Reset TCP/IP and Winsock as follows;

Open Command Prompt and run the two command lines below:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

press Enter after each line. Exit Command Prompt and reboot.

We need some more info about your network setup:
Is this a home network or a workplace or school network? Are you connected to a wall socket (ethernet) or are you plugged in directly to a modem/router?

Hi!

Ok so i tried putting those commands in after reading something about it on another forumbut had no luck, absolutely nothing happened. Tried muliple time and copy and pasted a few times to make sure command was right, restarted anyway incase something had happened and i was just being a tech-dive, but again no luck :/

Its a work computer and the Ethernet is plugged into a socket thing in the wall, not directly into the router. No wireless network to connect to as no one knows the password! The issue happened after a power cut but ive chcked and the hardware and such is no damaged so i think its might be to do with the fact that router switched off.

Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your Router is your DHCP server. So, if your computer isn't able to access the DHCP server, there is an issue with the Router.
Do as Old Rich has said, and power cycle your modem, router (eg) unplug them, wait 15 seconds and plug them back in. And restart your computer.
In the IPconfig log, that rich suggested, it should have an IP Address for the Default Gateway (your router) like 192.168.1.254, if not then the router is not broadcasting DHCP or it has a hardware issue.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to help me!

Unfortunately, our internet controls the card machines at my workplace :/ so I cant turn of the modem right now without having a word with my boss first as this will have to be done outside shop hours. I will get back to you as soon as i am able to complete the instructions given to me by 'Old Rich' and paste my findings, hopefully this wont take me too long!
Old 05-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
-sb
Registered Member

Known issue :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/810606

-sb
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
our internet controls the card machines at my workplace :/ so I cant turn of the modem right now without having a word with my boss
You didn't mention you were connecting your computer at work, that would have been good to know.
Do you log in to a Domain on a Domain server at work or is it just peer to peer? If a Domain, you would need to contact your IT group to help you. As there may be an issue with your User account on Active Directory.
If peer to peer, there could be Group Policies in effect on your user account not allowing you to log in to internet. What is your security software (eg) Anti-Virus, Firewall etc. There may be an issue with this software blocking the internet. Then there is the matter of Malware that could also be a blocking the internet.