Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't install DirectX 9 on Windows XP

This is a discussion on Can't install DirectX 9 on Windows XP within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have clean installation of Windows XP x64 SP2. When I try to install DirectX 9, it says "You must

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

I have clean installation of Windows XP x64 SP2. When I try to install DirectX 9, it says "You must be running Windows 98, Windows Millenium Edition, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 family to install the DirectX 9.0". Is there some way to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

DirectX 9.0 C only will work with Windows XP 64bit
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=34429
Old 09-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have a question. I may be posting in the wrong place. Instructions said pick a thread. The Direct X9 on XP caught my attention. I have a HP dx2000 MT comp with XP and not Vista on it (like the HP website is showing the upgrade from but not supporting it anymore). I am needing to install my 32-bit Windows 7 Professional. Have had multiple problems one after another. First, I only have a CD ROM win 7 is on a DVD. Installed Yumi, UltraISO, and wintousb. with Microsoft help I have an ISO file from microsoft on a flash drive that presumably I can install from. I can't get past the scan. It fails. My MS windows 7 compatibility advisor file stated everything was compatible but the direct x 9 was not. I assumed it was a driver issue and maybe needing to update the BIOS like HP suggested.

Now I am wondering is the hardware not compatible with windows 7, never mind the drivers? The microsoft tech support seemed pretty certain it was not and I should just stick with XP. I can't use XP. I need windows 7 for work. They seemed to think if I installed windows 7 it wouldn't run right.

Please overlook any missing Ls. I'm tired of pounding that key. My dog jumped on my notebook and knocked some keys off. The L was the first one I put back on. I got better with practice.

From device manager it is showing Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller - drivers installed.

The compatibility advisor stated the graphics adapter won't support Windows Aero interface. Go to manufacturer (HP in my case) and see if upgrade is available. They are updating and upgrading from Vista not XP but the support ended on that, just the step by step is availablle for upgrade from Vista and a new install. I got these from a school district for 25 dollars a piece. I do wordprocessing and research on the internet. This is an unused tower, I have no data on it I want to keep.

any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have access to another computer with a DVD drive on it? If so, you can create a Bootable USB Flash drive of the Windows 7 DVD disc making an ISO image file using IMGBurn and burn the ISO image to USB with Rufus. Both available in my signature.
Backup any files you want to keep from XP computer to a USB Drive, and do a Clean Install.
Put the Windows 7 USB Flash drive you created into the XP Computer. start the computer and press F10 or the ESC key and Boot into Setup (Bios). Here go to the Boot tab and move the USB Flash drive to First Boot Device, Save and Exit. Or restart the computer and press F9 and do a one time change of boot order.
When the computer starts, you should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From USB. In the Windows Installer, choose your Language, then Custom Install. In Drive Options, delete All partitions on the XP drive, so the whole drive is Unallocated Space. Now go Next. Windows 7 will create partitions and format the drive during the install.