Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't get programs to Auto Start...

This is a discussion on Can't get programs to Auto Start... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have traveled the intertnet near and far and can't seem to get any progams to start automatically when Windows

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

I have traveled the intertnet near and far and can't seem to get any progams to start automatically when Windows XP boots. I have made shortcuts to the programs I want to start with the boot up (Outlook & Terminal Services) in the C\Documents and Settings\UserName\Start Menu folder with no luck. I have also tried moving these files to the same directory in the "All Users" folder instead also with no luck. I also tried to make these programs start by disabling the "Always prompt client for password upon connection" in the MMC snap-in Group policy. Is there a wizard out there who can tell me how to fix this problem? I have multiple machines that need to be set up like this... Let me know if you need any other information...

Thanks in advance,

Ibstarc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Check whether the shortcut you created uses the same command as the the original shortcut for outlook in the start menu (right-click that shortcut => properties).

Are these limited accounts ? Make sure outlook was installed for all users and make sure you can run outlook manually by typing the command next to "target" in the shorcut's properties (shortcut tab) in start => run.

Have you tried scheduled tasks ? Outlook should be in the list of programs, else browse for it. Set it to run at logon.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/308569
https://www.theeldergeek.com/schedule...s_password.htm

Outlook may need to be run as admin, change the shortcut you created for runas /user:domainname\username"c:\wherever outlook is installed\outlook.exe" (replace domainname, username and the outlook path with the right values) and see how it goes.
https://www.ss64.com/nt/runas.html
https://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/.../atips12.shtml
(note that this would be the same as if the admin had run outlook, the users will probably be able to create/delete/modify accounts)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Isn't terminal services a service? You'd have to set that to automatic in your services. It's in control panel (classic view), administrative tools, services. Find terminal services, open it, and set startup type to automatic.
I don't know about Outlook, but you could paste the shortcut into the startup folder in the start menu (don't know what could have gone wrong there), or you could use a registry key to start it up. To run the registry editor, click start, run, then type regedit.
If you want to start it for all users, use
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Make a new string value and type in the path and command name
If you want to start it for your account only, then it's
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
As for permissions, I wouldn't know any of that, so follow above poster's tips.

P.S: In Office 2003, the default path for Outlook is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe
May vary per your version of Office.
Closed Thread