Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't defrag portable hard drive because it's "dirty"

This is a discussion on Can't defrag portable hard drive because it's "dirty" within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to defragment a portable hard drive (USB 2.0), but the volume is dirty (CHKDSK is scheduled to

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 AM   #1

I am trying to defragment a portable hard drive (USB 2.0), but the volume is dirty (CHKDSK is scheduled to run on a system reboot), but that isn't going to happen since it's a USB hard drive and isn't "visible" until Windows is in the picture.

What are my options here?

I was able to run CHKDSK on it from the command line, and there were no bad sectors found, so I assume I unplugged it at some point when it was trying to write data. Still, how can I defrag my drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi Asynja,

did you use any switches when running chkdsk from the command line? As long as there are no locked system files on the drive, you should be able to run chkdsk /r /f on it when Windows is running which may be able to detect some problems.

Hope that helps
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus P4P800-P4C800 Series: "RAID-Ready" Setup on Intel ICH5R
Hello everyone! Recently there was a question about the step-by-step procedure to create a "RAID-Ready" system using a motherboard (mobo) having an Intel ICH5R chip, such as the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. Having a "RAID-Ready" system means the system has only one SATA drive now, but everything else...
clintfan Motherboards, Bios & CPU 5 04-23-2006 10:07 PM
Wiped out by StealthSWs114.h!dll ver4.442as18a accessport #33299
It happened last night I think, after a little too much surfing by a family member. The net result has been an obnoxious startup message purportedly from IE, when IE hasn't even been started (my default is Firefox, I never use IE). Also, whenever I try to visit a Microsoft Office document...
smcracraft Resolved HJT Threads 9 04-22-2006 10:59 PM
Hard drive Won't Format! And Operating System Won't Start! Pls HELP!
Okay so here goes... I was getting frustrated with adware,spyware and viruses, I mean really frustrated they corrupted my computer and made using internet explorer a pain in the @$#. So after deleting the corrupted programs and files from my computer I decided "Why not go all the way and delete the...
Dom007 Windows XP Support 1 12-16-2005 07:07 AM
problems with sata+ide setup, winxp asus p4p800
okay, I hope you can help me out, I don't consider myself a computer newbie at all, but I'm totally lost now. up to just last nite, I had a nice working system as follows: p4p800 asus board 2gig ram 2 80gig ide WD drives workng as master/slave. I used one for running windows and the other...
oko Motherboards, Bios & CPU 8 01-12-2005 12:16 PM
I can't set my Hard Drive as Primary Master?
I had an older computer given to me it is an Intel Celeron 267 MHZ with 128 MB ram award bios not sure of the mobo. It did not have a cdrom or hard drive in it so I purchased a 52x LG CD-RW and a Maxtor 40 GB Hard Drive. I left the jumpers the way they were factory(master) I installed the IDE...
loseyaself Hard Drive Support 10 09-24-2004 02:42 PM