Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't create new partition for XP reinstallation

This is a discussion on Can't create new partition for XP reinstallation within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, last year I purchased a Dell Mini 9 which had Windows XP pre-installed on it. Somehow a few weeks

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey, last year I purchased a Dell Mini 9 which had Windows XP pre-installed on it. Somehow a few weeks ago it managed to wipe itself of the OS. Using another computer which has an optical drive I made a bootable USB device with the XP reinstallation CD which came with my netbook and the WinToFlash application which I downloaded from CNET.

I got my BIOS to boot from the USB drive, I got to a stage of the installation where it asked me to either choose a pre-existinf partition to install XP to or create a new partition to install XP to. I had no pre-existing partition tro which I could install to so I tried making a new partition. It asked me to choose a size for the new partition (which I did) and i then press enter. I was returned to the previous screen however the new partition had not been created. I then tried making a smaller partition, the same thing happened. Can anyone here please help me with this issue? All assistance (successful or unsuccessful) would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

OS: Windows 98se/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 Pro/10 Pro/10 "Insider" / Linux(various)

Hi pjjaus

Since operating systems generally aren't in the habit of vanishing without help from some external cause -- how did you come to the conclusion that it had vanished? What error messages did you see?

A possibility is that your Intel solid state drive failed. If diagnostics are available for your model from Dell, by all means run those. If you need to run the diagnostics from a bootable CD/DVD, see if you can borrow an external USB CD/DVD drive and use that to run the diagnostics.

If you have a desktop with available internal SATA connectors or external eSATA connectors, you can attach the SSD (the Intel solid state drive), install the Intel SSD Toolbox, and run diagnostics on the drive. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...18455&lang=eng

Alternately, if you are fairly certain the trouble does not stem from any physical malfunction of the drive, you can simply try to borrow or acquire an external USB CD/DVD drive & run your Dell Windows XP Operating System disk again. If you have made backups of your personal data, delete the current partitions when prompted, and create a new partition to install Windows on. You won't have room to create a new partition if you don't delete the older.

Best of luck
. . . Gary
Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Mini's and Netbooks do not come with CD drives, but they do have Restore Partition. You can restore your computer to factory settings by accessing this restore partition usually by hitting Ctrl+F11 at bootup, or just F11. You cannot create any new partitions, because the C: partition and the D:(restore partition) take up the whole drive and there is no unallocated space on the drive to create a new partition.
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

OS: Windows 98se/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 Pro/10 Pro/10 "Insider" / Linux(various)

Hi again

Just a note to clarify things for Mini 9 owners - this is from their support website:
Quote:
Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have <F11> nor any substitute. . . . You will have to do a manual reinstall.
The PC-Restore feature is not available to Mini 9 owners. But a full set of disks is included when the models ship:
- Operating System disk (Windows XP or Ubuntu Linux)
- Dell Resource disk

If you would like extensive details on Dell's idea of best practices for reinstalling/restoring a Dell Mini 9 by doing things yourself manually, here is a link to their instructions ---
https://support.dell.com/support/topi...t?docid=179256

Dell's suggestions for saving data via the Transfer wizard don't apply to systems (such as our current patient) that aren't booting Windows. It will be hard to save much of anything from the SSD if it has failed. If another PC can read from the drive, however, and you have data to save beforehand, by all means do so.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

P.S. Probably 99.9% of PCs shipped have a restore partition included - the Dell Mini 9 is a rarity = it apparently doesn't have a restore partition. Newer Minis do have more restore options.
Closed Thread