Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't access recovery partition

This is a discussion on Can't access recovery partition within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't know when this started to happen, but I only noticed it recently. On my BIOS menu, there is

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I don't know when this started to happen, but I only noticed it recently.

On my BIOS menu, there is a note that says F10 = system recovery. When I hold F10 nothing happens; windows boots normally.
On the OS selection menu, I have options for windows xp and windows xp recovery console. If I select recovery console, it appears to load (like restoring from hibernation), but when it is finished loading I get a BSOD that tells me windows recovered from a critical error and to run chkdsk /F

Well I've run chkdsk /F in safe mode, regular boot, and before boot, but nothing happens.

The recovery partition is the only way I have to reinstall my OS or restore to factory settings. It is read only, and almost 9gb. It shows up as HP_Recovery (D:)

The only hardware upgrades that I have done between the last time I used this and now was a graphics card and ram.

So I have a few questions. First and foremost, how do I fix this? Is there any way to restore my system, even if I butn the partition to a disk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Troubled

You should have an option to make recovery discs, click programs/pc health and tools,hp recovery disc creator/takes about 9 cds.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I followed the steps on HP's website, and the program "CD Creator.exe", to make the recoverys, said I already did and I can only make one.

I emailed their support, and they basically said "Spend $15 to get an almost FREE backup disk!"

I also removed the hardware upgrades I did to see if that was what prevented it from working, and nothing changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Troubled

$15 is cheap. They will restore your recovery partition too. You will also be able to make the one time backup set. Will come in handy if you have to replace the hardrive.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes, and as I said it is my failsafe.. Who seems to be the only option I have. I'm going to have to wait to get another external disk to back up everything I have before I format my computer.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Troubled

Was just trying to help you to the easiest way. The recovery discs will work on a larger hardrive also.
Good Luck
Closed Thread