Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can't access Properties or some programs. (Back to XP...still needs attention!!!)

This is a discussion on Can't access Properties or some programs. (Back to XP...still needs attention!!!) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My original post was on someone else's thread, so I started one that deals with my problem only. Here is

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

My original post was on someone else's thread, so I started one that deals with my problem only. Here is the link if you want to review what has already occurred.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/show...hlight=1nitwit

I am having several problems. If I right click on a blank spot on the screen, select PROPERTIES, I don't get a list of properties. Instead it opens up Firefox.

A box at the bottom says:

opening rundll32.exe
which is a : Application

I have downloaded Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition, VX2 Add-on Cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, CWShredder, and Hijackthis by using the "Save to Disk" feature. (It gave me icons on my desktop.) Don't know how to have them check for updates without running them.

Rebooted tapping F8 key. Did not get "Safe Mode" option. Got a list of my hard drives, and optical drives, and asking did I want to use CD copies. Chose the 74G hard drive which is my C-drive.

Booted up with quite a few Firefox panels opened. Also had this message:

You have chosen to open
"mssysmgr.exe"
which is a: Application

FlashGot has a circle with a dot inside it. Below that is "Save to Disk"

If I select okay for Flashgot I get an error message saying "Doesn't include valid URL(s)

Think I was able to run CWShredder, but couldn't run Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy as I get the same message as just described about the URL(s).

I have run the Registry Mechanic. Also updated ZoneAlarm. Made the mistake or using 'Clean Install' on ZoneAlarm instead of keeping set preferences.

I can't open the Add/Remove file. I get the message about invalid URL(s).

My daughter tells me Limewire and AIM are no longer working. (No big deal for me!)

My computer has been shutting down on its own. When turning computer back on, I have a message "TURN OFF SPEED KING 1". Where this message shows is on a screen where a user would select their name if the computer was set up with more than one user. Always before my computer loaded right to my desktop. This message does not happen when I tap the F8 key. No idea what this is about.

I fear I am in way over my head. As stated previously, I have limited computer knowledge. I have been using CounterSpy for a week or two. It runs at 2 a.m. daily. It is my understanding that it makes a 'safe start' point before it scans. Isn't there a way to start my computer from a known safe point in time? I may try to get up at 1:50 a.m. so that I can let CounterSpy run. Can't hurt!

I don't understand how FlashGot has entered into the picture. I had downloaded it so that I could download OpenOffice.org. Guess I should have uninstalled it once OpenOffice was installed. It is quite possible I made a change without realizing what I did.

That is what happened with an earlier problem. I had somehow changed Rich Text Format properties so that it was opening with Firefox instead of WordPad.

Everytime I open my browser (Mozilla FireFox) I get this message:
You have chosen to open
firefox.exe
What should Firefox do with this file?

Thanks for any help you can give.

P.S. My grandson was on the computer Friday afternoon. Lord knows what he might have done. He's 8, and is only interested in finding games to play.

I am tempted to not let anyone else use my computer once I get this straightened out. I'm too old to handle all this STRESS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Seems like you have quite a few issues going on at the moment.

Please try this registry fix which should hopefully clear the URL errors you're getting. Then try this one which can hopefully sort out the application errors.

As for the rest, there is a chance that you may have picked up some infections from limewire or even through AIM. Therefore, i'd recommend reading through this link which advises on steps to take before posting a HiJack This log file here.

Post back if you have any questions :)
Old 09-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Clicked on "this registry fix", but don't see a 'run'. What exactly do I do now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Had a little more time this evening to look at the first link you gave me. I tried running the virus scan. Had to do a 'Browse'. I use BitDefender9. Picked an icon without a .exe extension. Don't think it ran. Firefox came up again.

Daughter had just stopped using the computer a few minutes before I got home. The screen was at the place where you pick a user. The place where it says "TURN OFF SPEED KING 1". Had an error message:

Windows System Error
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Or have a guess or two? I'd like to avoid having this problem again!

Missed running CounterSpy by 2 minutes this morning. Or at least finding out if it would run. Darn alarm clock!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nitwit View Post
Clicked on "this registry fix", but don't see a 'run'. What exactly do I do now?
The files are zipped up so you need to unzip them first. Once you have done that, you need to double click them to merge with your registry, if that doesn't work...try right clicking them and then selecting merge :)
Old 09-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Right clicked on the icons loaded by your blue links. Selected "Extract here". Double clicked on the resulting icons. Said yes to "Do I want to combine them with my registry". Then clicked okay. Rebooted. Twice!

Second time I wrote all the files down that were downloaded just in case you want a list of them. Rebooting had gone directly to my desktop (thought I was making headway!), but continued on automatically opening up Firefox. Continued clicking on the Close button brought up 30 files to "Save to a disk". One...at...a...time.

Right clicking on blank screen, selecting PROPERTIES, brings up Firefox with this message:

You have chosen to open
rundll32.exe

I don't seem to be getting any where. Well, I do have a lot more icons on my desktop now!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hmm very weird problem.

Do you have a Windows XP install disc? If you have, a repair installation may help.

Only other thing I can suggest is letting an analyst check your Hijack This log file for any evidence of malware of some kind. You can read the thread here for advice on the steps to take before posting a Hijack This log.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

I was told that "extract here" is not the same thing as unzipping a file. I did download 7-ZIP recently, but have never used it. Can't use it either right now. So I guess I didn't do it right on those two links you gave me that are supposed to fix my registry.

A friend at work just told me about a new program that is supposed to fix Windows Registry called Registry Repair Pro by IDM at idm-select.com. It offers a free scan, so I will try that tonight.

Was reading PCWorld August issue, and found an article called "Fix Windows Glitches by Re-registering Your DLLs". If the above program doesn't work, I will give the PCW article a shot. Although with my inexperience, I won't be able to do too much this way. Only what is shown in the article.

Will let you know how it works out. I do appreciate your help.

I have wanted to backup my files, but kept putting it off because I had never done it before. The August issue of PCW also rated some programs for backing up your system. It will be one of the first things I learn to do as soon as we get my computer running correctly!!!

I've got quit a few pictures I don't want to lose. Nor do I want to lose my email addresses. It should be possible for me to cut-and-paste these files to my backup drive before doing a restore. Right? Hopefully the restore won't be necessary.

Again, I want to thank you for your help.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that I ran four of the virus scans you gave me in the file on what to do before running Hijackthis. Ran trendmicro first. It found 3 worms, and 6 viruses. Ran it a second time and it found one more virus. Name looked to be the same as one of the previous ones. Ran BitDefender twice. It found 4 more, but apparenty could not fix them. Two of them were 'killbill.exe'. Don't remember the other two, but have them written down at home.

Symantic found nothing. Mcafee found the same four BitDefender did. Running these scans did not change how the computer worked.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Extracting is the same as unzipping so don't worry as it sounds as though you merged the registry files without a problem.

As for the Registry Repair Pro scan, it may well be a free scan but you then may have to pay to fix the problems so think about it before you jump in.

Also, as you mentioned in your post about the amount of worms found, i'm not sure a registry cleaner is going to help you....i'm pretty confident that the problems will be solved if we can get your PC clean from the malware.

With regards to backing up, I use a program called Acronis True Image which is a shareware program but it is excellent. However, there is very little point backnig up an infected installation as if you ever needed to restore it, you would be restoring the infected files too. If we can concentrate on getting you clean, backing up would be the next logical step :)
Old 09-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi nickster_uk. No worry about the Registry Repair Pro scan. It downloads to your computer instead of running from their website, so I was unable to run it.

The only thing I have found to run so far is Firefox and my Email. Oh yeah, IE also. At least I can communicate and keep up on my favorite forums!

Sounds like the next thing for me to do is read up on how to run Hijackthis. Then give it a shot. Scary! Any helpful hints for a first time user? Maybe I should try re-registering my DLLs as described in PCWorld before doing anything else. I shouldn't be able to do any damage from what I can tell from the article.

BTW, I was able to run Registry Mechanic a few days ago before this last round started.

Have a good day.

P.S. I do not plan on backing up anything until we correct my problem. If it becomes necessary to restore (or do something else that could cause me to lose everything) I will copy pictures and email addresses first if at all possible.

EDIT:

Can't re-register DLLs as shown in PCWorld. Okay (or ENTER) takes me to Firefox. Bummer! I can't use the Media Player. Can't open JASC Paint Shop Pro. Can go to My Pictures, and they will load into Nero PhotoShop Viewer.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Please download HijackThis. Double-click on the file when it is downloaded. Click on the "Unzip" button to install. It will by default install to the directory - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\. Once it is installed, go to the installation directory and double click the HijackThis file inside and then select 'Do a system scan and save a log file'. Do not fix anything in HijackThis since they may be harmless. Then all you need to do is cut n paste the contents of the log file into your next reply and someone will review and decide if it needs to be moved to the HiJack This log file help section. Make sure to include the System information at the top of the log as well.

Hope that helps :)
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
Registered Member

I think I got Hijackthis unzipped. The file isn't where you said it should be. It is at C:|Documents and Settings|Dale Warren|Desktop|highjackthis. There is a .zip and a .exe file there. Double clicking on the .exe file takes me to Firefox.

Did I 'Unzip" it correctly? What do I do now?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
Happy to support TSF!

My System

What options do you get when you right click on the .exe file?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
Registered Member

No .exe file next to .zip file when I went in this time. Did a right click, Extract files...

Now there is a HighjackThis folder. Might have already been there as I wasn't looking for a folder before. Opened folder and the .exe is in there. A right click gives me these options:

open
run as...
7-Zip (with arrow on side)
Add to archive...
Add to HighjackThis.rar
Compress and email
Compress to "HighjackThis.rar" and email
Pin to Start menu
BidDefender Antivirus v9
Send to (with arrow on the side)
cut
copy
create shortcut
delete
rename
properties
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #15
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Ok...seeing as it won't run the normal way, please try the following:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
"C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe"
- Click OK

That should open the program, all you need to do then is click ''Do a system scan and save a log file' and then post the log file with your next reply. If it contains any spyware, I shall request that the thread be moved to the appropriate section. Otherwise, we'll try a different route :)
Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

First of all, HighjackThis is not going into Program Files. I can't make it go there when I download. It goes into Documents and Settings|Dale Warren|Desktop.

I've tried typing it in (actual pathway on my computer, not your example) and it keeps telling me that Windows can't find the file. I finally did a START, RUN, Browse, and went to HijackThis.exe, then okay, okay. It opened up in Firefox.

Typing in as you told me to also says Windows can't find the file. I've looked in Program Files, and there isn't any HighjackThis files in there.

I just copied HighjackThis Folder into Program Files, and tried to run per your example. No dice! Typing it in I get "Windows can't find this file". Using the browse feature, it takes me to Firefox again.

I hope you aren't running out of answers!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #17
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Please check your PM's :)
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #18

Okay you guys are WAY involved, so I'm staying away, but while scanning the thread I noticed nitwit (nice handle, BTW too bad those that most need it are in the deepest denial) had some trouble with extraction of compressed files.

Well let me highly recommend WinRaR as THE all-around file-compression utility. It's free, not crippled, no nag screens or annoying "countdowns", it does (just about) ALL compression formats and will extract them here, there & everywhere.

Commercial for WinRaR ends, we now bring you back to this complex situation...
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #19
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Looking at the context menu provided above , looks like they already have WinRAR ;)
Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #20
Registered Member

Well, here I go again showing my ignorance. What is a PM? I will ask at work where I'm sure someone can tell me, but would prefer an answer from the horse's mouth. Thanks.

I'm not positive, but I think HighjackThis is using WinRAR, but it asks me do I want to buy it everytime. (I've downloaded it 2 or 3 times to see if it was me being the problem!)
Closed Thread