Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

CANNOT START WIN XP DUE TO NON-RESPONSIVE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD AT WINDOWS WELCOME PAGE

This is a discussion on CANNOT START WIN XP DUE TO NON-RESPONSIVE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD AT WINDOWS WELCOME PAGE within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 12/23/12 – CANNOT START WINDOWS XP DUE TO NON-RESPONSIVE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD AT WINDOWS WELCOME PAGE I have a Dell

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

12/23/12 – CANNOT START WINDOWS XP DUE TO NON-RESPONSIVE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD AT WINDOWS WELCOME PAGE
I have a Dell XPS 400 (DXP051, BIOS version A05, 05/30/06) Windows XP desktop PC with a UBS keyboard and UBS mouse. It has an Intel Pentium D CPU at 2.80 GHz, dual core, 64 bit Intel EM64T.
My problem is that both the mouse and keyboard are nonresponsive after boot-up when the “Windows Welcome, click user to start” window comes up. (Both DO work perfectly in boot mode and in the diagnostic tests.) I’m not sure what the problem is - the computer has always worked fine until this problem. One clue is that after a Windows update on ~ 12/17/12 the shutdown got hung up after hours of attempting and so I turned off the power and shut it down that way.
I have tried many things (with no result), all while trying all mouse functions and keyboard functions such as arrow keys, num-arrow keys, Windows symbol key, various combinations of alt, ctrl, shift, delete, esc, and numlock keys, etc. Since I have no functioning mouse or keyboard at the Windows welcome page I have shutdown the computer with the power push button on the computer which seems to do a “proper” shutdown. Things attempted (again all with no result):
1. Disabling the Integrated NIC (factory default setting is on/ enabled) under “Integrated NIC” in SETUP.
2. Enabling the Integrated NIC with PXE enabled under “Integrated NIC” in SETUP.
3. Disabling the USB controller (factory default setting is on/ enabled) under “USB Controller” in SETUP.
4. Setting the USB controller to “No Boot” (UBS controller is enabled; however the BIOS will not recognize USB storage devices) under “USB Controller” in SETUP.
5. Changing the right keypad keys to function as arrows under “POST Behavior” in SETUP.
6. Tried “Fast boot off” (do not skip any steps in the boot process; factory default setting is “On/ boot quickly”) under “POST Behavior” in SETUP.
7. Tried “Intel ARRAY” in the Boot Device Menu.
8. Tried “Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive” in the Boot Device Menu.
9. Performed hard drive diagnostics in the Boot Device Menu – everything passed.
10. Performed diagnostics under “boot to utility partition” in the Boot Device Menu. Ran both the “express test” and the “extended test”. Found no problems on anything. Also, both the mouse and keyboard tested perfectly. Also ran “custom” tests and “symptom tree” tests finding no problems.
11. Under “Control-I” looked at the “RAID volume” options but tried nothing here since it didn’t look pertinent.
12. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse, keyboard, and even the display between boot-up and the start page.
13. Went into Safe Mode and tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Last Known Good Configuration, Directory Services Restore Mode, and Debugging Mode – none helped solve the problem.
14. Found the original “Drivers and Utilities” disk for the PC on a Dell CD and re-booted using it.
15. Found the original “Operating System” disk (Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2) for the PC on a Dell CD and re-booted using it. Tried a “repair” to no effect. Shut down and restarted for a re-install. Tried the C drive but “it has another operating system – not recommended to install”. Tried the D drive and choose to “leave the current file system intact”. This brought me to a Windows XP install window asking to re-insert the Operating System CD and wait for install. Upon re-start 2 choices of Windows XP are listed. The first looks like it is the D drive (new re-load). The second is the C drive. I chose the first (not knowing it was the D drive) and it ran through 3 stages of CHKDSK and started up WITH A VERY OLD LOOK AND APPARENTLY NONE OF MY PROGRAMS OR FILES.
16. Re-started the computer choosing the second Windows XP listed (C drive?) and came up with my current Windows Welcome page (computer name “ChrisNew”) but with the same problem – a dead mouse and keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

Greetings oslecw to TSF,

Reading your post, I recommend that you shutdown the computer; then, power it up again, gently tapping whatever Key you use to enter SETUP.
Once in there, reset all options back to default, and allow the computer to restart.
Post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks - I have done that with each attempt to fix. That is, I have reset everything to default before changing any one variable at a time. Reset defaults again & still no fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Merry Christmas olsecw,

Perhaps updating your BIOS may help with this issue.

Dell® BIOS Update Download page. Select version A07.
I noticed that your BIOS is an earlier version that Dell® have on their site.
Download the update from the link I have given you, to a USB Flash Drive; then, use the USB to update the machine with the problem.

Post back and tell us the results.

Regards,

Old 12-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

This machine was released in '05, your BIOS is dated '06. That is just around the time that Dell was producing mobos with the capacitor plague.

Have you opened the case and inspected for bulging or leaking caps?

A mysterious failure like this after years of service kind of point to something like a hardware issue. I my mind anyway.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Well Done [email protected] !

olsecw, try Jim's diagnosis and report bcke with the results.

Kind Regards,

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Everything looks good inside the case. (Also, I had previously carefully vacuumed out all the dist.)

Performed diagnostics under “boot to utility partition” in the Boot Device Menu and everyting tests well.

Downloaded the A07 BIOS to a thumb drive (from another computer) but I don't know when and how to download it into the problem computer during the start-up sequence.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hi olsecw,

To 'flash' the BIOS follow this:

Insert the USB Drive; then, power up the computer, and before the Windows® screen appears; continually tap the F12 Key, this will take you to a list where you need to change the boot order to USB as the First Boot Order; HDD second. Save and Exit.
The computer will then shutdown and re-boot.

Allow the computer to re-boot on its own, without touching any keys unless specifically requested to do so.

The BIOS update will start, please do not interrupt this process, or turn the power off.
Once the BIOS update is complete, the computer will re-boot; at this time remove the USB Drive.

Hopefully this will force the cantankerous contraption to behave itself.
Post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

Old 12-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks - I was able to load the A07 BIOS but that still did not solve the problem.

Any other suggestions? Is it possible that the drivers were deleted or corrupted somehow? The mouse is a Dell M056UOA wired USB and the keyboard is a Dell SK-8115 wired USB. I could not find drivers for this on the internet. If I could find them, could I load them onto the computer somehow during startup (when both the mouse and keyboard work - hence I think this is NOT the problem) and solve this dead Windows XP startup page problem?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Maybe I missed it but have you tried downloading Ubuntu to a DVD or USB stick and booted to it?

If the mouse and keyboard work with Ubuntu then that would tell us that it's a software/driver problem with WinXP. If they still don't work, that would tell us it's a hardware issue.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Registered Member

I did not try Ubuntu because it definitely seems like a software problem. The computer has 2 hard drives - C, the main one at 107 GB and D, the secondary at 37 GB. See # 15 & 16 in my first post - the computer will start up on the D drive and both the keyboard and mouse work. 15. Found the original “Operating System” disk (Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2) for the PC on a Dell CD and re-booted using it. Tried a “repair” to no effect. Shut down and restarted for a re-install. Tried the C drive but “it has another operating system – not recommended to install”. Tried the D drive and choose to “leave the current file system intact”. This brought me to a Windows XP install window asking to re-insert the Operating System CD and wait for install. Upon re-start 2 choices of Windows XP are listed. The first looks like it is the D drive (new re-load). The second is the C drive. I chose the first (not knowing it was the D drive) and it ran through 3 stages of CHKDSK and started up WITH A VERY OLD LOOK AND APPARENTLY NONE OF MY PROGRAMS OR FILES.

12/28/12 upate - it appears as if my files on my C drive ("original main use" hard drive) are still accessible via the file index from this old operating system on the D drive and the programs seem to be there but they won't start saying "the application configurationis incorrect" or the "appropriate version of the net framework needs to be installed" or "invalid configuration.
16. Re-started the computer choosing the second Windows XP listed (C drive?) and came up with my current Windows Welcome page but with the same problem – a dead mouse and keyboard.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hi olsecw,

Humour me for a moment please....Have you tried to boot into the F8 screen and select either "Last known good configuration"; or, "Safe Mode; then try "System Restore", to a date before the 17 December update?
I know that its a long shot, but it might be just worth a try.
Looking for Drivers for your Keyboard and Mouse has not be fruitful.

Post back with your thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Yes, I have tried "last known good configuration" but that does not help. Also note that I am given no choice on what that configuration or configuration date is.

Have tried various "safe mode" starts (see #13 in my initial post) but again I can't do anything since both the mouse and keyboard are dead at that Windows XP welcome page. In safe mode I do however get an "Administrator" option to click on (if the mouse worked!!) in addition to my normal computer name & icon.

Fairly crazy problem isn't it!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Last known good reverts sequentially, if you have more than one set of older Registries stored, you can keep trying it - afaik, there may be several older versions stored, perhaps as many as 6 or 7, just keep trying it - you may get lucky!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hi olsecw,

Are the arrows on your Keyboard working when you are at the screen with "The Administrator Option"?
If they are, try manipulating with the arrows and click on that option, to see what this cantankerous contraption does.
Looking at Item #13 in your Post #1, you make mention of Safe Mode etc., when in Safe Mode, does the Keyboard or Mouse work at all, or are they only useable in the Start Up section?
One other thing; is there a possibility that you can borrow a Keyboard and Mouse from a family member, friend, or neighbour?
This will then determine if you have a Hardware issue or Software issue.
If you are lucky enough to borrow them even if its only for ten minutes; they can be PS2 connections too, because this will also determine if the USB Port is faulty as well.
Like killing two birds with one stone.

Post back with what happens.

Kind Regards,

Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I checked out the spec sheet for the Dell that olsecw listed and it doesn't show PS2 ports...only USB.

The issue isn't strange to me as I've recently (last year) worked on 35-40 older Dell's and I did run into a couple that wouldn't show the mouse or keyboard after the BIOS and what I did there was grab another keyboard our of our box of 50 or so keyboards. Once I had to try several different keyboards before I could get one to work. And after I got to the WinXP desktop, the mouse would work. Seemed to me to be a BIOS glitch that Dell never got around to fixing in the models I was working with. Those were GX series computers. Built around '06-'07.

Those Dell's that did have the PS2 ports worked every time when I'd use a PS2 keyboard and mouse (if that particular model had those ports).

But olsecw has both a Dell keyboard and mouse and you'd think they would work with it right off. The Dell keyboards I was using that failed were newer then the computers they wouldn't work with. Since I was trying to get those donated computers up and running for a large show, I never had the time to actually dig into what was causing the issue.

Quote:
Fairly crazy problem isn't it!
True dat!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Thanks Jim,

Very true indeed; I had a similar situation with those GX series PC's too.
You would think that Dell would have these Keyboard/Mouse problems sorted by now; evidently not.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Registered Member

From SATROW on 12/28: "Last known good reverts sequentially, if you have more than one set of older Registries stored, you can keep trying it - afaik, there may be several older versions stored, perhaps as many as 6 or 7, just keep trying it "

IS THIS TRUE? This could be an easy fix except that I have been working on this problem for about 2 weeks with countless start attempts and shutdowns.

Based on SATROW'S advice I have tried "Safe Mode - last good configuration" re-starts 31 times so far. Is this worth doing? I will try another 20-30 re-starts if in fact they do go back one at a time. Maybe eventually I will get to that "last good configuration".
Old 12-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

I very much doubt that there would ever be as many as 20 saved Registries - I doubt that it would reach double figures.

We'll give up on that method.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Hi olescw,

Correct me if I am wrong; have you tried to re-install the Driver for the Keyboard/Mouse?
If not, try downloading the Dell Desktop System Software; this Utility Driver is for USB devices.
You will need to change the Category from BIOS to Windows XP; then scroll down to "System Utilities", and download the Driver.
Having said that, I don't know if you will be able to install it if you are not in Windows, perhaps you might have success in Safe Mode.

Were you successful in borrowing another Keyboard and Mouse?

In your first Post, Item #3 you said that you had disabled the USB Controller; have you tried to re-enable this?
You said that this issue became apparent after a Windows Update on 17 December; try to boot to Safe Mode, and see if the system will let you do a System Restore to a date prior to this Windows Update; for example say, a date around 16 Decenber, or the Restore Point when that update was installed.
Another thought is; have you checked that the USB Ports wiring has not come loose from the Motherboard?

I know how frustrating this is; however, we have to try all possibilities; the last resort would be that you will have to wipe the Drive completely and start a fresh installation.
That would also mean that you would have to find a way to 'Slave' the Drive to gain access to retrieve any important Files/Folders before wiping the HDD.

The best method of wiping a HDD that I know of is; Darik's Boot n' Nuke, or DBAN, which is available for download from this site.
Because DBAN is an ISO download, you will need to burn it to a disc using appropriate Burning software.
Try please these suggestions and let us know what happened.

Kind Regards,

Closed Thread