Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

cannot open internet options

This is a discussion on cannot open internet options within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I know this isn't a new problem, but none of the solutions worked for me...any new ideas??? I tried

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

Hi, I know this isn't a new problem, but none of the solutions worked for me...any new ideas??? I tried to open internet options from both tools and control panel. Both just show a quick flash but won't let me in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #2

hmmm have you tried to reinstall IE? If that doesn't work then try a system restore, maybe that will do something. Restore it to a the day before you started having the issue.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #3

Hello Mike...How do I re-install explorer??
I tried a system restore, went all the way
back to April, but it didn't fix it...

thank you so much for helping me!!!
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

This is how to re install your IE. got to your control panel then add/remove programs. Select add/remove windows component located at the left side check the box in the internet explorer and then next.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Happy to support TSF!

My System

That will not reinstall IE..it will only remove access to the program.

Reinstalling IE is a bit trickier on XP and you'll either need an XP installation disc or the setup files stored on your hard drive to do it:

- Start -> Run -> type:
rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf
- Click OK
- Insert installation CD when prompted or point installer to i386 folder on your hard drive.

However, I don't think that will solve this problem as it sounds like a malware infection so it may be a good idea to read through the following post:
https://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...sting-log.html
Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 AM   #6

Thank you Mikegomz and Nickster...
I did know I needed a disc to reinstall XP, but hadn't found it yet. I restored back to April but that didn't fix the problem either. I had a feeling it was malware and ran Spybot Search and Destroy. It left one malware that couldn't be removed..."U.Search" or something like that. I will get onto the infected computer at about 9-10am today...I'll work on the list Nickster.
Thank you for all your help! Be back soon...

Kim

PS. I don't know how to send you a "log"....
Old 06-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #7

Hi again...
The scans took a long time...found all kinds of stuff...I'm going to try to send the logs...The first one is from PANDA...I don't understand how to send the Ad-Aware findings....

Incident Status Location

Potentially unwanted tool:Application/MyWebSearch Not disinfected C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\MSIMG32.dll
Adware:adware/whenusearch Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Start Menu\Programs\WhenU
Potentially unwanted tool:application/mywebsearch Not disinfected hkey_classes_root\clsid\{9AFB8248-617F-460d-9366-D71CDEDA3179}
Adware:adware/dyfuca Not disinfected Windows Registry
Adware:adware/ist.istbar Not disinfected Windows Registry
Adware:adware/surfaccuracy Not disinfected Windows Registry
Adware:adware/savenow Not disinfected Windows Registry
Potentially unwanted tool:application/funweb Not disinfected HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{9FF05104-B030-46FC-94B8-81276E4E27DF}
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\arc.zip-25df0b9c-1393a823.zip[VerifierBug.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\arc.zip-25df0b9c-1393a823.zip[Counter.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\arc.zip-25df0b9c-1393a823.zip[Gummy.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\arc.zip-25df0b9c-1393a823.zip[Beyond.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\arc.zip-25df0b9c-1393a823.zip[Worker.class]
Virus:Trj/Banker.CZI Disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\arc.zip-25df0b9c-1393a823.zip[web.exe]
Adware:Adware/CWS.Searchmeup Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\java.jar-7e09d0a6-7db7e79d.zip[GetAccess.class]
Adware:Adware/CWS.Searchmeup Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\java.jar-7e09d0a6-7db7e79d.zip[Installer.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\java.jar-7e09d0a6-7db7e79d.zip[NewSecurityClassLoader.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\java.jar-7e09d0a6-7db7e79d.zip[NewURLClassLoader.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\loaderadv499.jar-16b64c18-5cc686b1.zip[Matrix.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\loaderadv499.jar-16b64c18-5cc686b1.zip[Counter.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\loaderadv499.jar-16b64c18-5cc686b1.zip[Dummy.class]
Hacktool:Exploit/ByteVerify Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\loaderadv499.jar-16b64c18-5cc686b1.zip[Parser.class]
Spyware:Cookie/2o7 Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/PointRoll Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Atwola Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Com.com Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Go Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Spyware:Cookie/Overture Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt
Spyware:Cookie/QuestionMarket Not disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\kim\Cookies\[email protected][2].txt
Adware:Adware/Trymedia Not disinfected C:\Downloads\PonyLuvSetup-dm[1].exe
Adware:Adware/Trymedia Not disinfected C:\Downloads\PonyLuvSetup-dm[2].exe
Spyware:Spyware/Virtumonde Not disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\mljjj.dll
Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi Kim, just add whatever logs you can...the most important one is from the Deckard System Scanner which will include the HijackThis log file...you should find that log in:
C:\Deckard\System Scanner

Also, you will need to start a new thread here with information of the problem plus all the logs as well please.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask
Closed Thread