Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Cannot get past blue Windows XP screen

This is a discussion on Cannot get past blue Windows XP screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, First, I am not what you'd call technically literate.... I have an emachine m6809 laptop. Earlier today the machine

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:13 PM   #1

Hi,

First, I am not what you'd call technically literate....

I have an emachine m6809 laptop. Earlier today the machine seemed to freeze up and I ended up shutting it off by pressing the power button. I left it off for a number of hours. Now I can't get past the blue Windows XP screen that is divided in half where you click to enter and begin work. All the keys are frozen. The only way to turn the machine off is using the power button. I can't seem to get past that.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #2

uh, ctrl+alt+delete?

i used to have this problem when XP first came out, dont know what it was and thats the only thing that would do it for some odd reason... if you get in, i suggest you backup all your work then reinstall as this fixed my problem 2 years ago...
Old 04-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #3

[QUOTE=soultrain]uh, ctrl+alt+delete?

None of the keys work so when I try the above nothing happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Sgt.

My System

As your system starts up, press F8 repeadedly until you see a screen that asks how you want to boot up. Select "Safe Mode" and see if you can get into that.

See the below link for more details.
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
Old 04-17-2005, 07:11 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Sarge]As your system starts up, press F8 repeadedly until you see a screen that asks how you want to boot up.

Sarge,

I don't really know what happened but the computer is working now. THANK YOU!! I've been sitting here for over two hours trying to get past this. I had even tried the F8 but wasn't getting anywhere.

Since the keys weren't working, I tried holding the F8 key down as I hit the power button to turn it on. Nothing happened. I tried tapping and nothing. Then something made me wonder if it was really shutting off or powering all the way down so I held the F8 key as I "thought" I was turning the computer on and it then appeared to turn the lap top completely off. I waited a few minutes, then held the F8 key down and powered the machine up using the power button. Suddenly the screen started showing all the normal gyrations.

So thanks!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:18 PM   #6

[QUOTE=soultrain]uh, ctrl+alt+delete?

Soultrain, thanks for your suggestion. I wish it would have worked . . . .
Old 04-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #7

lol, hmmm... funny how after i suggested it, it worked...
oh well!!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 08:27 PM   #8

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrain
lol, hmmm... funny how after i suggested it, it worked...
oh well!!!!
Is ctl, alt, delete the same thing as doing the F8 procedure? If so, I'll remember that in the future.

I wish I knew what caused the problem to begin with. As long as it's working I'm happy, and I'm glad I found this site.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #9

no, i was just kiddin.

glad ur comp is up and running!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 AM   #10

Soultrain,

I told you I was illiterate. Evidently I'm not even up to par to catch a witty remark. :)

I looked to see if there was a way to show this problem resolved but couldn't find any. The laptop worked fine today when I turned it on. So I am very happy I found this site.

Thanks again,

vikk
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Sgt.

My System

F8 is what you press before you get to the welcome screen. It lets you select a number of different star-up modes.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete at the wlecome screen allows you to login with the Win2K-style login screen. It sometimes is usefull as a workaround for troubles with the XP welcome screen.

This concludes the login-screens 101.01 tutorial. Please deposit 25 for further assistance.

j/k
Closed Thread