Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Cannot establish a connection....

This is a discussion on Cannot establish a connection.... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have installed a Windows XP Virtual Machine on my Windows 10 computer. The installation went fine, and I tried

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have installed a Windows XP Virtual Machine on my Windows 10 computer. The installation went fine, and I tried to log into it and got a screen saying I need to activate Windows before I can use the VM. I tried to do that, and am getting a screen saying that my computer cannot establish a connection. My computer is wired to the internet, while in Windows 10 I can use the internet just fine. Can someone please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Which VM are you using? You have to enable the Ethernet Connection on the VM's control panel.
Also, check in the XP Device Manager and make sure there are no drivers missing.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

The virtual machine is VirtualBox Windows XP. How do I enable the ethernet connection on the VM? When I boot the VM, before I can do anything else, I need to activate Windows. I can try to enable the ethernet, how do I do that? How will I know if drivers are missing from the VM XP Device Manager? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First go to the Device Manager in XP, make sure there are no devices with Yellow Flags.
Then start your VM, go to the Toolbar to Settings/Network. (see attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	networkadapter.png
Views:	22
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	320338  
Old 06-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

First, thanks for your advice! I just booted my XP Virtual Machine, and before I can log in, I still have to activate Windows. Until I do this, I can't access the XP Start Menu. There are a few icons at the lower right bottom of the screen - one of them is "Adapter 1". I double-clicked on it, but it is in grey - I can't change the settings for this. The small window that appears when I place the mouse cursor on this icon shows:

Adapter 1 (NAT)
IP: (It shows an IP address, which I will omit right now for privacy)
Cable: Connected

That is what I see here. Your thoughts?
Old 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You will have to activate some other way other then on the net, as your adapter will be grayed out until you do. Try typing in a different product key