Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Cannot boot Dell Inspiron mini notebook

This is a discussion on Cannot boot Dell Inspiron mini notebook within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I made the mistake of trying to remove Internet Explorer in Windows components before updating to IE8. As a result,

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

I made the mistake of trying to remove Internet Explorer in Windows components before updating to IE8. As a result, when I try to boot, I get the messages:

PXE-E53: No boot filename received.
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Missing operatV2.0system

As my notebook has no CD/DVD drive, I assume I must boot by USB. Questions:
1. Can I make a USB that will allow me to use System Restore?
2. Can I boot with a Windows 10 ISO and use System Restore to fix WinXP?

A photo of the error screen is attached, and other suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	322044  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the entry for Onboard LAN Boot ROM and set it to Disabled. Save the changes and exit setup.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8240398
if you need a dvd drive you can use an external one and connect to usb port.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the Model # of the Dell Inspiron Mini?
In the Bios, there is a Boot Order of drives that the computer can boot to. It usually starts with the CD/DVD then, HDD, USB etc. The last one is booting to the Network via your Ethernet cable. Just disabling it from the boot order will not boot the computer. The only reason it is showing is because the Bios went to every other Boot Drive (ie) CD, HDD, USB and did not find a boot file so it ended on the Network Because the HDD's OS is missing or corrupted.
That being said, boot into Setup (Bios) by pressing F2. Under System Information, it tells you the make and model$ of the HDD, and the Amount of Memory (RAM) If you have at least 2GB of RAM you can install Windows 10 32bit on the computer.
you can also try doing a Factory reset to reinstall XP https://ccm.net/faq/11463-how-to-res...ctory-settings
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried to follow Steve's instructions, but got stuck on the BIOS LAN screen (see attached) where I didn't know how to address the issues in the right panel. Therefore, I exited, but unexpectedly got to the Recovery Console. This had not happened before when I exited BIOS, but then I selected the last known good configuration, and solved the problem!

I also attach a screen shot of the computer info for Spunk's interest. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	322054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	322056  
Old 11-01-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

For Future reference, you Inpspiron Mini is model #1010/ You have a 160GB Toshiba HDD, and 1024 of Extended Memory (ie) 1GB of RAM. The computer will support up to 2GB of RAM. You do not want to Disable the On Board LAN or else your Ethernet Jack will no longer work.
If you change out the RAM modules to be 2GB, you can install Windows 10 Home on the computer.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
Game Team Tech

can you post pictures of the boot screen that Is what I need to look at the top use the keyboard arrows to move to the boot tab that is where your boot settings are like hard drive, dvd drives usb etc. your will see it next to security.

That is where we can change the boot order.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bios+boot+screen&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CUwEgJWSiazuIjj8_1q-Jbuy69RuN0WOaD1hL3cqAWDX7SMfeAMDvAJ4ISduqTsT2_1zkqbnzowYZdRG8ntQ5-fDNFVioSCfz-r4lu7Lr1EbBNotuUWg11KhIJG43RY5oPWEsRpt9G01itUTIqEgndyoBYNftIxxE0mhFku1ZhWioSCd4AwO8AnghJEbp7mPPuX709KhIJ26pOxPb_1OSoR7PGjix3Lp38qEglufOjBhl1EbxEePVkMTzZahCoSCSe1Dn58M0VWEdQZRw6_1kMLF&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiHm47gprzeAhUI-YUKHeetDUsQ9C96BAgBEBg&biw=1920&bih=976&dpr=1#imgrc=zLqiOL0B-rQoNM:

in the link it should look something like that just disable or remove the pxe boot from the list.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I selected the last known good configuration, and solved the problem!
If your problem is solved, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images