Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Cannot boot after CPU swap

This is a discussion on Cannot boot after CPU swap within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Background: I built a full size arcade machine back in 2003ish. It is dual-booted XPSP1 and XPSP3 by means of

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Background:
I built a full size arcade machine back in 2003ish. It is dual-booted XPSP1 and XPSP3 by means of Avanquest System Commander which is a boot/partition manager. The XPSP1 partition is the back-end OS for MAME and other game emulators. It has most services disabled so it is very light and fast booting. The XPPS3 partition is used to connect to the network/Internet for troubleshooting, transfering files, etc.

The problem I have encountered is that I replaced the non-hyperthreading CPU with a hyperthreading CPU and XPSP1 will not boot after it found and installed the new hardware. That is, it will not boot normally. I can boot into safe mode and it DOES show ACPI Multiprocessor PC in Device Manager and two CPU's in Performance tab of Task Manager. The XPSP3 partition is working perfectly fine after reboot.

I tried installing SP3 thinking SP1 does not support hyperthreading but after doing that, at normal boot, I get the "Missing or corrupt Ntfs.sys" error. However, I can still boot into safemode so that file is not actually missing or corrupt. I even tried replacing that file with one from the XPSP3 partition and got the same results. I also tried disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS but I get the same results. I also tried a repair install from the installation CD but it only sees the partitions, not the OS's so Repair is not an option; only full install.

I have a backup image of the system before I replaced the CPU so I can start from scratch.

Specs:
MB: Asus P4S800, socket 478
CPU: Intel P4 3.2 Northwood SL6WE
RAM: PC3200 1.5 GB DDR
Graphics card: VisionTek ATI HD3650 AGP 1GB DDR2
Power supply: 650 watts
Monitor: 21" CRT monitor (VGA) made for PC's

Questions:
  1. So does anyone know why I cannot boot normally?
  2. Does SP1 support hyperthreading?
  3. Is there one or more services that I need to enable before I reboot after the system replaces the HAL for the hyperthreading CPU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I believe I recall there being a hyper thread hot fix for XP RTM but all those links are gone from the MS site now since the ultimate fix is SP3 and even that is no longer supported.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

After swapping out the CPU....did you perform a clean install of XP?

Old 09-10-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

It's working now. I don't know for sure what was causing the problem.

I tried to perform a repair install but the only option I got was full install when I booted from the XP install CD. I used to dual-boot all of my systems with Vcom's System Commander. I'm guessing that had something to do with the installation CD not recognizing either OS.

This box is dual-booted with XP SP1 and XP SP3. The first OS I booted after I swapped the CPU was XP SP3. It recognized the new CPU and prompted for the drivers. I chose the auto install so it found the drivers and installed them. After reboot, two CPU panels were displayed in the Performance tab of the Task Manager and 'ACPI Multi Processor PC' is displayed in the Device Manager. So I knew, for SP3, all that was required was the physical swap and a reboot.

For the SP1 OS, the system would freeze with a black screen upon reboot (after updating the drivers). I couldn't even boot into safe mode. I then re-imaged the HDD and tried again. The second time I would get a black screen on normal boot but I could boot into safe mode. In safe mode two CPU panels were displayed in the Performance tab of the Task Manager and 'ACPI Multi Processor PC' is displayed in the Device Manager. So now I knew SP1 was also compatible.

The SP1 OS is used for MAME and other game emulators. It's an arcade machine so I had disabled many services so I tried re-enabling them to see if that was the issue. Nothing I did would allow me to boot in normal mode so I re-imaged again but this time I uninstalled System Commander.

I don't know what was causing the issue but it's been up and running for a couple of days without issue other than the color and screen size of the games is not correct. I also swapped a video card so I'm sure that's the culprit.

Swapping the CPU gave a real boost to performance. It's a very noticeable change. So the bottom line is that updating the drivers and a reboot should be all that is required to update to a hyper-threading CPU on XP.
Closed Thread