Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Can WinXP work with EFS files created on Win7 or Win10?

This is a discussion on Can WinXP work with EFS files created on Win7 or Win10? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a WinXP box that works with its own EFS files just fine. My Win7 and Win10 boxes

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a WinXP box that works with its own EFS files just fine.
My Win7 and Win10 boxes can work with files created by the WinXP box, or by each other.
But the WinXP box doesn't seem to work with EFS files created on the Win7 or Win10 box.
Of course, there's nothing in the documentation that describes backward compatibility.
Do any of you have examples where your WinXP box can work with EFS files created on newer Win OSs?
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well, I spun up another WinXP Pro box (32 bit, just like the other ones) and it is able to work just fine with the EFS files from newer OSs.
So, there's some weird configuration problem I need to deal with on the original XP box...but at least I've proven the backwards compatibility.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

The issue had to do with group policies...you shouldn't have any relating to EFS. When I deleted the group policy, all of a sudden I could read all the EFS files.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JS/Phish on Windows Vista
Hi, I appear to have the same symptoms as described in this post. Unfortunately I have already made some mistakes, one of which was not to read the 'Read this before posting' thread. I stumbled upon the above linked post through a google search and tried following some of the advice offered...
mev Resolved HJT Threads 28 11-02-2012 04:08 PM
2 different computers hangs in the same way.
Hi dear people. My old computer started to get issues with random freeze ups, and I did everything I could do. Updated drivers, ran all sorts of scans and checkups, virus free, dust free, formatted the computer, and before instaling any of my programs I still had the same issue. Nothing showed up...
Sindaya BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 13 10-23-2012 06:28 AM
Downloads from IE say that they have a virus
Good Evening Tech Support Forum, Been awhile since I've been here. Working on my sister-in-laws notebook and it has some issues. First, Vista SP2 would not install. Got it to install after running the Vista SP2 fix from Microsoft. After that, I was able to get all of the updates installed...
mrmuggyd Resolved HJT Threads 19 06-02-2012 08:12 PM
After an awfull attempt at removing Search-milk.net redirect. I have no DNS
Ok So Im running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I;ve had this nasty redirect thing for a while. Whenever or most of the time when I would click a link in google it would always take me to Search-Milk.net. I eventually got sick of it and looked up how to rid myself of this. If you search Search-milk.net...
Lazethis Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 7 03-14-2012 08:49 PM