Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

can I reverse what I have done?

This is a discussion on can I reverse what I have done? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Windows XP, servicepack 3 was running on my computer. The computer would not boot up unless in Safe Mode. While

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Windows XP, servicepack 3 was running on my computer.

The computer would not boot up unless in Safe Mode.

While in Sade Mode with Networking, I was able to download from downloads.com Norton, EUsing (a registry cleaner) and do a virus scan with Norton from which nothing showed except four cookie type items that I deleted.

After figuring that I am unable to detect a virus, i should do what I have heard to do, put an XP disc in my computer and try to boot up from it.

Now, I am unable to get back to Safe Mode because the computer wants to set up the rest of the new XP install. I don't think I asked for that option, i only remeber asking for the repair option.

Now I am stuck and am concerned, hoping I can get back to where I was and fix the comptuer to get to my original everything before any of this started to happen.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

My System

You should be able to continue on and at some point, such as when it shows you the partitioning for your install, you should be able to not accept it and it will ask you if you want to discontinue the installation. Try that out.

Realistically, you could just power it off and reboot it and it should allow you to boot into Safe Mode because it never finished the setup from before.

Mike
Old 12-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

A Repair Install looks very much like a normal install. You have to complete the whole thing before it will finish. If you chose Repair Install, you will not loose any files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
A Repair Install looks very much like a normal install. You have to complete the whole thing before it will finish. If you chose Repair Install, you will not loose any files.

Spot-on. Complete the repair install and boot normally. Cheers.
Closed Thread