Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

can a cat on a keyboard change boot up sequence?

This is a discussion on can a cat on a keyboard change boot up sequence? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Running xp professional I left my computer on and forgot to push my keyboard drawer in, when I came back

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Running xp professional
I left my computer on and forgot to push my keyboard drawer in, when I came back up, my cat was sleeping in my chair, my computer screen was in a boot up mode but it had stopped and at the bottom of the screen said:
3rd master hard drive disk error
below that it said:
press F1 to reset

I did that but it just started over and, I rebooted and it said the same thing.

I don't know much about this stuff but I did go into the settings to see if anything looked odd.

I looked at the device settings and this is what one of the pages said:

Best Device Priority
1st Best Device [1st Floppy Drive]
2nd Best Device [CD/DVD:PM-HL-DT-ST]
3rd Best Device [USB: Seagate Free Agent]
Try Other Best Devices [No]

this looked completely wrong to me, since I don't even have a floppy drive.

But also it did not indicate my c drive anywhere at all. So I had no idea what to do.

I came up with the idea of pulling out my restore CD but it would not boot up to it, so I went back to the page of Best Device Priority and moved the CD one up to the first. Then I got a blue screen saying they were ready to load windows, but it asked if I wanted to load windows on my Seagate and I thought this might wipe out all the backup I have on there. So I did not do it, instead I exited and shut the computer off.

I have not had any problems with this computer before. I run AVG firewall and virus protection, I also run c/c cleaner and another one, which unfortunately I can't remember right now.

My hard drive has never made any noises, just hums. I do have some important new pieces of artwork on there and my two under construction websites that I do not think have been backed up yet that I would like to be able to get out of it.
Do you think it is possible that the cat could have caused the drive to die because of sitting on a keyboard?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Athlon dual core cpu on a BioStar motherboard.

Thanks for any insight you might provide.
is there a way I could hook my laptop to this computer and then perhaps engage the hard drive to get data out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Your hard drive may have failed so you'll need to run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software from a bootable CD to check that possibility. The links are here:
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

If you cannot determine the make of drive you can use the Seagate SeaTools for DOS which can test any make. The download is an 'ISO' cd-image which you need to burn to a blank cd-r using nero or something similar which can burn ISO files.
| Seagate
Old 03-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I suppose it's possible your cat laying on the keyboard could have changed the boot sequence.

I've seen cats change television channels before, so I guess it could happen.

If you enter your BIOS settings screen and go to the boot sequence page you can change the boot device. Highlight the 1st boot device, press enter, and select your C: drive from the list and see if you boot normally. You are reporting a disk error though so that might not be the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
CCT
Helper

From what you describe, I'd suspect that the cat static-spiked your comp and your Bios settings are borked and need to be reset.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks to both of you for responding.

@epshatto: When I do highlight the boot sequence, I do not see my c drive in the list, does this mean it died? Or could there be something else going on?

Also I wondered if it is possible to use my laptop somehow to work with this computer as a though it were just a drive?

@pip22: I will see if I can follow your instructions. I so appreciate your help.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

@CCT can you help direct me as to how to do that or should I find someone in the area who can help?
Old 03-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
CCT
Helper

You need to specify the make\model of comp or even better, motherboard, have a complete list of drives and what's-what (Sata, IDE, which has the OS, etc), and then should be able to get directions in the Bios/motherboard forum.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What does it say when you highlight your 1st boot device and press enter?

There should be a list of installed devices you can select from. It's not going to say "C:\" in that list. It would display the drive's name. Most likely it would be a series of letters and numbers.

edit- Regarding your laptop question, if the standards are right you can connect your laptop hard drive to your PC, or vice versa. You can connect the internal hard drive of your PC to your laptop, though because of the size difference you would use an adapter or an external enclosure. Your PC hard drive would then function as an external hard drive for your laptop. If connecting your laptop hard drive, you would need something to allow the drive to fit in the bay inside the computer, or again you could use an adapter/enclosure device, using the laptop drive as an external. But I'm not sure that's what you really mean to be asking.
Closed Thread