Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Cameras suddenly refuse to let me drag-and-drop, copy

This is a discussion on Cameras suddenly refuse to let me drag-and-drop, copy within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was trying to transfer iPhone pictures to disk. So I made a folder, selected the pictures I wanted (from

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
hwh
Registered Member

I was trying to transfer iPhone pictures to disk. So I made a folder, selected the pictures I wanted (from the explorer window, because guess what, these devices are recognized and have drivers) and dragged the highlighted thumbnails to this new folder.

Nothing happened.

I tried again and again. Same result, nothing copied. I tried copying and pasting. Nothing happens. I installed iTunes, which did nothing. I tried connecting my Canon A520 to transfer a picture. Exact same behaviour. So...

I can view the files, I can load the folders, but I can't use them like normal folders for some reason. As a reality check, I grabbed a floppy disk and tried to transfer a file. That is normal.

Here's a weird detail. The Microsoft photo transfer wizard works. I can also save a picture opened with any software, but then it has to be resaved, typically recompressed, and so on. That's not a solution.

I could use my other computer and send the data over the network, but that's a workaround. So...I'm pretty pissed. No idea what happened. AV software running. Everything else totally normal. If I can't get it working, I have a backup from a month or two ago. Huge pain in the *** to save my stuff and load that, but it may come to that if I can't get my cameras to work

XP SP3...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you're trying to move a large group of photo's try a smaller batch. just one or two to see how it goes then a few more.
You can also highlight a small group of photos, CTRL+C to Copy, put your pointer in the new folder on your computer and press CTRL+V to Paste.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 AM   #3
hwh
Registered Member

Thanks, but it is any number. Just one. Does not copy, no error message. "Send to my pictures" opens the folder and nothing gets sent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Press and Release the ESC key.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:55 AM   #5
hwh
Registered Member

That...did nothing.

Anyway. I lost all hope and did it the hard way. The really hard way. Took around 18 hours of folder comparing and reinstalling and going through stuff. Put new stuff since my last backup of July onto that backup -

then booted the backup and backed it up to the regular disk. What do you know, it's like before except my pictures move around like good files now

All in all it was around 3 days of crap. Oh well. I learned nothing, but thanks for the replies.
Closed Thread