Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Buying out of XP3

This is a discussion on Buying out of XP3 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My current computer runs XP3. I want to buy a new computer that runs Win 10. What is the best

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

My current computer runs XP3. I want to buy a new computer that runs Win 10. What is the best way to do this so that most of my programs remain compatible i.e Should I upgrade my current PC before the swap or buy a new PC that runs Win 7, swap and then upgrade from there? I am particularly worried about my OE6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

With OE6 every time Windows 10 updates you'll have to reestablish it in compatibility mode. Don't bother with Windows 7 as an interim step. It won't help what you're trying to do. Back up your personal data and list all apps you're going to want to reinstall. There are paid programs that can bring everything over, but they're not perfect.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Microsoft no longer supports Outlook Express in newer versions of Windows after XP.
Get a new computer with Windows 10 and Microsoft Office. Then, import your OE files from the XP machine to a large USB Flash drive and import them into Microsoft Office/Outlook: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...5-DEAC3F3C4359
You can use this same method to import into other mail programs like Thunderbird or Windows 10 Mail.