Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Bundle of problems

This is a discussion on Bundle of problems within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I am facing some odd problems on my PC for quite a long time now.I have tried all

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #1

Angry

Hey guys,

I am facing some odd problems on my PC for quite a long time now.I have tried all possible solutions suggested but no result.The problems are:

After I format my PC,it runs smoothly for about 1 week.After this 1 week time period,peculiar problems start to arise.

1)Audio crackles.Whenever I play an audio or video file,the sound appears distorted,cracked.My driver is Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec.My version is 5.10.5067.0.According to DriverMax information,the latest driver version is 6.10.0.5274 but whenever I try to install that,it fails

2)Boot time increases abnormally.Even,PC refuses to boot sometimes

3)PC becomes very slow.Even an winrar extraction of 100 MB file takes nearly 5 minutes which should have been occured within flat 1-2 mins.Even,Mozilla Firefox browser opens after 1 min of clicking it.

4)I cannot run multiple processes simultaneously.If I do,machine becomes extremely laggy

I have updated every single component just yesterday.My specs are:

Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz
Intel D946GZIS Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE Graphics card
Seagate Barracuda 160 GB
Zeon 1 GB DDR2 RAM
MOSER BAER DH-22A8P

My primary suspects were motherboard and Hard disk.I checked my motherboard back from local Intel service center and they said it is OK.I changed my hard disk too but the problems remain the same.And these problems only start happening after at least 1 week of formatting of my PC.These symptoms don't come before that time

Any suggestion would be appreciated.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi there,

I will attempt to help you fix some of your problems. Make sure you follow my steps carfully and if your unsure of anything ask me first.

Ok First Problem I will attempt to fix is Problem 2)

1. Boot Up in Safe Mode
2. Start, Run, type "msconfig" and click the startup tab.
3. Report bk to me listing all of the programs that are in that list.

I will then tell you which ones you could disable.

Thanks

GamingJon
Old 04-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

Slow down's are a natural part of Windows...though the performance decrease shouldn't be too bad.

I would check to see how many running processes you have when your computer is idle. You can find this out by press ctrl+alt+esc and clicking on the Processes tab.

Here at work I have ~40 at home I run closer to 30. If you have 70+ like many of the computers I work on, then there is a good chance that is your problem. Each running program is going to use some memory, so the more you have, the slower everything will run.

If you haven't already, don't forget to run your disk cleanup and then defragment your hard drive

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for that Elf. If you try and fix the performance side of things. Ill give the slow boot problem a go and hopefully together we can cure this.

I agree with Elf, however I would download CCleaner and run the CLEANER. NOT THE REGISTRY CLEANER. Purely because ccleaner scans a bit more in depth.

Also Defrag your HDD using the built in utiliy or a free alternative.

Would you agree Elf?

Thanks GamingJon
Old 04-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Could you please PM me with a list of all installed programs. To find out what is installed click Start Orb, Control Panel, Programs and Features.

Thanks GamingJon
Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 AM   #6

You can boost the performance of your computer by the following steps:--
1. Try to delete all the temporary internet files from your computer.
2. Try to uninstall the unwanted programs installed on your computer.
3. Try to perform the "defrag" and "diskcleanup" utility over the specific time.
4. Try to remove all the temporary internet files from your computer.
5. Scan your computer by using any updated antivirus program.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 AM   #7

Well,apart from the performance side of things,my main concern is audio crackling.The PC is working altogether.
I have done cleaning through ccleaner,cleaned up HDD and defragmented but it's still the same.

Any idea why audio crackling occurs?
My spekaers are allright because as I said.they work perfectly fine initially but only after 1 week or so passes by,the problem starts,looks like there is a time loop and with headphones also,I face the same problem.

Also,I was going through the Event Viewer the other day,when the system tab of event viewer crashed.

Could the whole thing be any motherboard or processor issue?

And oh,I have 31 processes running.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholorophyll View Post
Well,apart from the performance side of things,my main concern is audio crackling.The PC is working altogether.
I have done cleaning through ccleaner,cleaned up HDD and defragmented but it's still the same.

Any idea why audio crackling occurs?
My spekaers are allright because as I said.they work perfectly fine initially but only after 1 week or so passes by,the problem starts,looks like there is a time loop and with headphones also,I face the same problem.

Also,I was going through the Event Viewer the other day,when the system tab of event viewer crashed.

Could the whole thing be any motherboard or processor issue?

And oh,I have 31 processes running.
Could possibly be related to the Hardware, just confirm that you are using on-board sound or a sound card?

Although, thinking about it, this doesn't ring-true due to the time period you are experiencing.

Question - When you reinstall the OS, are you using conventional means (From CD, rather than Ghosting) and have you upgraded your BIOS to check to see if this has an impact?

Lastly - GamingJon has confused me, you are using XP yes? Not Vista? Either GamingJon is incorrect or this thread is in the wrong place, but something is amiss!

Looking for support with something else?
Microsoft Security Hardware Networking

Got an SSD?
Disable Defrag, SuperFetch and Prefetch!

*I do not always subscribe to threads*
If you're awaiting a reply after 24 hours, please PM me
Old 04-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #9

Using on board sound.

Have upgraded BIOS and every other drivers.

Using XP and whenever I reinstall,I do it from CD.

and yes,if this is any hardware issue,then why it occurs after 1 week or so.If this is hardware related,then the problems would have started right from the very beginning.
So damn confusing
Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

True... Is it there as soon as you boot or a short time afterwards? Think it might be 'feeeeeeeeeeedbaaaaaaaaack' from the PSU? Maybe try unplugging your DVD/Floppy/*Generic peripheral here* and testing it again? I get the same thing on my PC when it runs through the Denon - But mines caused by the 3.5mm Jacks not being at the 'Correct angle' - Odd!

Looking for support with something else?
Microsoft Security Hardware Networking

Got an SSD?
Disable Defrag, SuperFetch and Prefetch!

*I do not always subscribe to threads*
If you're awaiting a reply after 24 hours, please PM me
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalPoint View Post

True... Is it there as soon as you boot or a short time afterwards? Think it might be 'feeeeeeeeeeedbaaaaaaaaack' from the PSU? Maybe try unplugging your DVD/Floppy/*Generic peripheral here* and testing it again? I get the same thing on my PC when it runs through the Denon - But mines caused by the 3.5mm Jacks not being at the 'Correct angle' - Odd!
It is as soon as I boot,even the welcome to XP sound appears cracked

Unplugging generic peripherals.....haven't tried.Will try that and let you know.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #12
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

You can test your sound using a live boot CD...something like knoppix or d*** small linux (there are probably some other alternatives, but these are the first two that came to mind). These are alternative operating systems (that work in place of Windows), but they do not require installation, but instead run directly from cd, USB jumpdrive, or maybe even a floppy disk.

If it crackles there also then your problem is likely hardware related.

I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #13

OK.....I used ubuntu Live CD for a bit and during that,no audio crackling occured.I am a Linux novice and didn't manage to access the existing files in my HDD but few inbuilt audio and video files within ubuntu played without any hassle and crackling.

Also,I was going through the Event viewer when I saw these errors and warnings:

Error: Source: atapi :Event ID: 9 : Description: The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

Warning: Source: disk : Event ID: 51 :Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Warning: Source: atapi :Event ID: 26 : Description: The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort2 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

Error: Source: disk :Event ID: 7 : Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

Each of these errors and warnings are present some 3-4 times minimum.Do these errors signify something important?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

They signify bad sectors on your drive more than likely. You can run disk check on your drive. From the command prompt type this:

Code:
chkdsk c:\ /r
edit: or if it you have 2 drives or more you can substitute the c:\ for whatever the letter of the drive you want to check is (if you have more than one I would go ahead and check them all).

On a side note, with your sound working fine in ubuntu then your problem is probably software related.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #15

Some strange sort of things happened today.I unplugged my HDD from my PC and took to a friend's house for some data transfer purpose and when I replugged it to my PC again,all sort of problems just disappeared

How astonishing!!!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

It could have been a loose cable or maybe the cable was secure, but it had a loose connection. You'd be surprised how often just reseating cables can resolve problems.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

so all your problems are gone now....could be what elf suggested but could be just coincidence too maybe while connected to your friends pc it got a chk disk run on it and fixed some bad errors or something glad to hear all is fixed now though wish you could tell the solution.
Closed Thread