Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

BSOD, exe files constantly crashing, browsers crashing.

This is a discussion on BSOD, exe files constantly crashing, browsers crashing. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I have had a few problems with my custom built computer. I believed at first that I had

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I have had a few problems with my custom built computer. I believed at first that I had malware and virus issues, however a nice technician on the virus forums said there was no problem.

I am receiving the dreaded Blue Screen of Death fairly frequently, I am not playing any games, just browsing the internet when it happens.

Secondly, my browsers (both Mozilla 3.6.8 and IE 8) are both crashing very frequently - Mozilla comes up with a report message saying it has crashed and asks me whether to send or not to send the report, whereas IE reloads the tabs frequently, but to a point the page cannot be reloaded and has to be closed down.

As well as this, a lot of my executable files are crashing - I am getting error messages from things like java, flash, avg, my network card, windows messenger etc saying that they have crashed.

This problem is happening very frequently, I cannot seem to go half an hour without browsing with no problem.

If anyone could help it would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 17.3 (KDE 4.14), Debian 8, Arch. Languages: Python3, Javascript, CSS3, HTML, Bash

My System

You need to post some hardware details about your custom built computer.
Something is unstable and it could well be the memory modules.

In addition, when you see a BSoD click details, it will generally state which executable caused the problem.

I would be tempted to look for a copy of memtest and run some memory diagnostics.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Great advice regarding memtest. Well worth looking into but feel free to post some crash dumps as it may be a dodgy driver too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi there, sorry for the long reply.

Which details do you need to know about and how do I find them?

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi there,

I've just had 4 BSOD in a row, all with the error Stop: 0X0000008E.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
CPU Speed: 2.98 GHz Performance Rated at: 6.705 GHz
RAM: 3.2 GB
VID: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

I have had some trouble with my graphics card and its drivers whilst gaming on my computer but gave up in resolving this issue.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

BUMP

Prior to this thread I posted my symptoms in the virus/spyware forum, after tests etc we established I did not have a virus and was told to post this error message in the Windows XP support forum.

Here is the error message:

22/07/2010 23:44:09, error: Cdrom [11] - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1.
20/07/2010 00:37:39, error: Cdrom [11] - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.
Closed Thread