Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

BSoD After Installing Updates

This is a discussion on BSoD After Installing Updates within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My sister is having difficulty with her Dell desktop. She apparently installed a few updates a couple of days ago,

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

My sister is having difficulty with her Dell desktop. She apparently installed a few updates a couple of days ago, but didn't restart her computer until today. What ends up happening now is that she keeps getting the BSoD right before the Windows XP loading screen.

This is what the BSoD says:

Quote:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC87895DD, 0x805D16D3, 0x0000000)
When I try to boot in Safe Mode (normal, networking, you name it) the last file that attempts to load is mup.sys, then the same Blue Screen.

The same result will occur when I press Last Known Good Configuration.

I might have to reformat her HDD. However, she doesn't want to lose her music, so I'm hoping there's other alternatives.

I'm assuming the recovery console will have to be involved. I just don't know what commands I'll need to enter. And I have no idea what update my sister installed on her PC.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi A, You can do a repair from the recovery console if you have an XP cd. This is happening to 1000s of people after updates, so it's getting quite familiar to us here. Heres a link with a list of ten things you can do first before a reinstall.

https://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6031733.html

If you decide to repair it as I suggested make sure you run the correct repair so that you do not lose any data on your hard drive. If you need further help just let me know.

Reguards
Patmark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for responding. I figured it was pretty common, but I thought I'd say exactly what my situation in case if there was anything different.

I've tried repairing the OS, but it tells me that it cannot access the Agreement, so I can't continue.

I'll say that since the computer didn't come with an XP CD and it doesn't have a Floppy disk drive, I had to burn the Windows XP setup image onto a CD. Could it be that the one I burned had a missing file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

Yes, that could certainly be it. Alot of the downloads you find online for this contain pirated copies of this program and therefore wont work or end up not being right somehow. There is no free way to get a windows disk. Your best bet is to find a friend with a disc and use that. I hope the link I provided will help you if you are able to locate an XP disk. I'm sorry I couldnt help further.

Reguards
Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

No problem. I'm pretty sure that my sister's PC will get fixed. I'll probably bum a disc from a friend or try the others from the link you gave me. But since it's late where I live, I'll just continue tomorrow.

Thanks for confirming possible ways to solve this issue.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

Ok Assistant, I'm glad I could help with the link. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Night
Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Closed Thread