Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

boot disc failure

This is a discussion on boot disc failure within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. long story here; son brought computer to me..6 year old had messed it up and he was getting boot disc

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

long story here; son brought computer to me..6 year old had messed it up and he was getting boot disc failure. I reinstalled valid copy of win XP. installed all updates and a few games for the grandkids. I showed him what I had installed and how to run the M$ security essentials. we rebooted while it was here and all was fine. he took computer home and got ..boot disc failure so he brought it back to me. The next morning I plugged it in here and it ran great..rebooted several times..no problem. I took it over to their house today and...you guessed it...boot disc failure!

What on earth is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Power issue? Try plugging it in somewhere else.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Make sure there are no USB devices (Flash Drives, USB HDD's etc) plugged into the computer and no discs in any of the drives including the floppy and CD.
Check the connections to the HDD and to the motherboard, if connections are loose from moving it around you would get this error or the HDD may be starting to fail. When it's booted go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Then type a Y and reboot the computer. The Check Disk utility will run at next bootup.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boot issues with ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard
Hi everyone I recently built a machine with an ASUS Sabertooth P67 and a core i7 2600k. On the whole, the machine is running beautifully, but I'm getting some strange issues at boot. Firstly, when I have the optical drive (a Liteon Blu-ray writer) first in the boot order and I turn the...
curiousborg Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 19 08-08-2011 05:03 AM
[SOLVED] Server Will Not Boot to Device
Hello, TechJeeper here, long time troll, first time poster... I have an Appro 1100H Rackmounted server and I seem to be having some issues with it. I can't get it to book off of CD-ROM or Hard Drive. Bios sees both devices. Here is what I have done so far. Set the CD-ROM to first boot...
TechJeeper Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 4 06-13-2011 06:07 AM
[SOLVED] disk boot failure
ok well all my components are a few months old but i decided to get a new pc case, I installed everything and made sure all screws were ok and there was nothing to short circuit. Fired it up and my dvd rw was not showing, so i checked the sata cables and everything was fine, fired it up again...
dwinceffyl Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 19 06-03-2011 10:08 AM
[SOLVED] Cannot boot from disc Code 5?
I have a relatively newer computer i am reformatting for a relative and i have windows 7 to put on it and whenever i boot it gives me "cannot boot cd code 5" it still won't work... it boots from other cds. I used Smart Boot Manager in UBCD but it still won't work... it won't find the CD...
Nisne Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 2 05-20-2011 08:12 PM
[SOLVED] Toshiba Satellite L355-S7915 hanging at boot after unexpected shutdown durin
My laptop was originally running Windows Vista® Home Basic (SP1, 32-bit). I installed Windows 7 ultimate over that and then subsequently installed ubuntu 11.04 with Grub via the windows-installer on their site. I had both set-up and they both worked but I wanted to boot into Ubuntu a couple of days...
patrickt1994 Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 4 05-08-2011 06:26 AM