Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Boot Device not Available

This is a discussion on Boot Device not Available within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If anyone can help me, I am having issues with my computer. I am using a Windows XP running windows

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

If anyone can help me, I am having issues with my computer. I am using a Windows XP running windows 10 with two HDDs. It was doing fine up until about a week ago when a terminal screen came up and said there was no boot device available, and to hit the enter key to retry. I have visited multiple other sites on this issue to no avail. A few said that if your hard drive is making mechanical noises (which it was) then it is as good as dead. I ordered a new drive and plugged it in only to find that it also made strange clicking noises, then shut off after about 30 seconds. I went into the setup menu and saw that it did not recognize the new drive and listed sata 2 and sata 4 as disconnected. It seems the only option is to buy a boot disk, I was simply wondering if the store gave me a faulty drive or if this is a problem with the computer itself. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I am using a Windows XP running windows 10 with two HDDs
Ok you have several issues, some unrelated with each other.
You say you are using XP and Running Windows 10 on two HDD's, What does this mean? Are you dual booting between XP and Windows 10 and they are on separate HDD's? Or do you mean something else? Like both Windows OS are on one HDD and the other is for storage?
If your HDD is not detected in the Bios, it will not be detected with a boot disc or in Windows. Unplug one HDD and try to boot the computer with that, this will also determine if one of the drives is making noises, not the new one.
If you have unplugged all older drives and plugged in just the new drive, and it is still making clicking or scraping noise, then there may be an issue with your Power Supply Unit, not providing enough power. What is the make, model# and wattage on the label of the PSU?
If the drive shows up in the Bios, but not the install disc/USB for Windows, then boot into Setup (Bios) go to Hard Drive Mode or SATA. If installing XP, you need to change the HDD Mode to Legacy or IDE, but if installing Windows 10 the Mode should be AHCI. Then the Setup disc will recognize the drive.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, that's how I read that too...running both OSes on a single disk. The Windows 10 updates alone will kill the XP bootloader, so there's that, but a bad disk will do the same, so there's that too. I would boot into a utility that can test the HDD first - that way you'll know if the drive is dead. Cheers.
Closed Thread