Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

black screen videos after XP reinstall

This is a discussion on black screen videos after XP reinstall within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Today I did a repair/reinstall of Windows XP - had been having all sorts of little glitches etc -

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Moderator, Design Team

My System

Hi
Today I did a repair/reinstall of Windows XP - had been having all sorts of little glitches etc - all good except for playing mpeg files on Cyberlink Power DVD. All my collected clips used to play properly before the repair - all were set to play using power DVD in properties. Now they start up, flicker the image and then the window turns black - audio is fine. I suppose it's a codec related issue - but which one is now missing that I had before? Last time I had a codec issue I downloaded and installed K-Lite but that was a disaster - nearly nothing played until I removed K-Lite. I have DivX installed and Xvid, I have Adobe Premiere Elelments which comes with a swag of codecs.
I have just upgraded Windows Media Player to version 11 (after it reverted to 10 after reinstall) but did not make it the default for mpegs.

Windows Media Player plays the clips properly btw

Any ideas folks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Moderator, Design Team

My System

solved for now - removed and re installed Power DVD which then seemed to lead to all my mpegs becoming Nero Showtime files then removed and re installed Nero. Went into properties box for an mpeg file, set it to open with Power DVD - they now all will open properly but still show with the Nero Showtime icon - ah well at least they play now
Closed Thread