Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Bizarre desktop link issue

This is a discussion on Bizarre desktop link issue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Originally, my problem was the same as the user in this post: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...en-209230.html I believe the issue arose when

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

Originally, my problem was the same as the user in this post:
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...en-209230.html
I believe the issue arose when windows update tried to upgrade my IE from 7 to 8.

I re-associated my URL filetype with firefox, and I also ran the attached registry file in post #6, and everything seemed hunky dory, until I tried to open one of my desktop links. They were able to be opened by firefox, but instead of opening to a normal page, the browser searches for individual pages in individual tabs based on each individual word in the title of the desktop shortcut!

This might sound kind of confusing so here is a picture of my issue: https://i.imgur.com/cwWcYvD.png

For reference, the title of the desktop shortcut was 'Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide' and it was supposed to link to Logical Increments - PC Buying Guide

I apologize if my explanation was a bit scattered, but I would love help on this issue! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

unless you have several dozens, it would be easier to just recreate your shortcuts again.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

I do have a lot of shortcuts, and the problem actually persists when I make new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Unfortunately I still have this issue :( Can anybody help me out?
Remaking my shortcuts doesn't solve it because the new shortcuts are still broken.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Did you register the .dll's as suggested in the link you posted, at Post #11?
Closed Thread

« Error | slow »
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driver issue with Older HP Desktop
I have an older HP Media Center Desktop that is running Windows Vista Home Edition. About 8 mos ago it stopped recognizing my Mouse and Keyboard so I would reboot my PC and eventually it would pick them up. I kept doing that until it just stop recognizing them all together so I figured the PS/2...
ck75253 Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 2 10-14-2013 05:17 PM
[SOLVED] BSOD NETWLV32.sys
BSOD netwlv32.sys Hi all, I have been getting BSOD every time i try to connect to some Wireless network and everything is fine with others. HP pavilion dv900 Notebook pc Home premium Windows Vista 32bit. I updated the driver but nothing happened. also uninstall norton antivirus and used...
immigranta BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 30 07-20-2013 08:12 PM
Quicken 2011 Rental Property Manager
SUPPORT CANNOT FIX THEIR OWN ERROR CODES Since Dec. 16, 2011 I have been trying to get Quicken Support to fix an issue they have with a CC 899 code and nearly every day I get a message from them saying I need to send them ConnLogs and nearly every day I send them only to get the same message a...
gwill65074 Offline 4 02-03-2012 07:48 AM
Bizarre MIDI playback issue
Hello all! I'm hoping you all can help me with this, since all attempts I've done to find a fix for this just turn up solutions for composing MIDIs... I recently purchased a brand-new computer (specs below), and I've had a bizarre issue with it. I have several games that use MIDI files for...
Shmeckie Sound Cards 4 03-27-2011 02:42 AM
Please check my post for Rynoman [resolved]
Link to Thread Hi there, My computer somehow got infected with a sound virus. I believe my daughter picked it up when she was home for her Christmas break. Anyways, I've seen a lot of other posts on here about this issue, but from the looks of your response, each one is unique. I hear a...
Nistlerooy Resolved Back Me Up Threads 24 01-17-2011 10:48 AM