Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Best free antivirus for Win XP 2016?

This is a discussion on Best free antivirus for Win XP 2016? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi so i just revived my long dead laptop with new hardisk and RAM but only for the purpose of

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi so i just revived my long dead laptop with new hardisk and RAM but only for the purpose of office works... the only OS i can install to this machine is its original Windows XP Pro.

so i want to install he best/free/light antivirus to this laptop, can u recommend me anytng? previously i used kaspersky 11 but not anymore since im sure this machine cant handle the recent version... will be lagged during startup and anything...

Ive read about Avira so i went to their web and download the free version however i bet its not compatible witn XP anymore as there was eror when i double clicked it and its not running anytng... so please a good one to protect this machine?

regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Avira and Avast both work for XP. You may have to use an older version.
What is the make and model # of the laptop? I have installed Windows 10 and 7 32 bit in laptops that are up 10 years or 12 years old, as long as they have at least 2GB of RAM. Occasionally you might have a problem finding the Video driver on the oldest models and then can only use the standard VGA but it works.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Avast is a good choice. Go to this site for the older versions which still update at least once a day: Old Version of Avast Antivirus for Windows XP Download - OldApps.com

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Avira and Avast both work for XP. You may have to use an older version.
What is the make and model # of the laptop? I have installed Windows 10 and 7 32 bit in laptops that are up 10 years or 12 years old, as long as they have at least 2GB of RAM. Occasionally you might have a problem finding the Video driver on the oldest models and then can only use the standard VGA but it works.
oh really? thats cool... its acer aspire 5500 .. but its only 512 RAM and i dont know where to find the 2GB if i want to upgrade it.. but how is it running win 7? is it fast?

Quote:
Avast is a good choice. Go to this site for the older versions which still update at least once a day: Old Version of Avast Antivirus for Windows XP Download - OldApps.com
cool i will look into these two AVs
Old 04-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Corday and I both linked Avast at Oldapps.com
Windows 7 32 bit on a 10 year old laptop with 2GB of RAM is not Fast, because the single processor is slow, but it runs fine. You can find RAM for the Acer Aspire on Amazon, Ebay. or just about any other computer parts web site.
Turn the laptop over, remove the battery and power adapter, unscrew the plastic flap covering the RAM and replace the 512MB Chip with 2X 1GB RAM chips.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Corday and I both linked Avast at Oldapps.com
Windows 7 32 bit on a 10 year old laptop with 2GB of RAM is not Fast, because the single processor is slow, but it runs fine. You can find RAM for the Acer Aspire on Amazon, Ebay. or just about any other computer parts web site.
Turn the laptop over, remove the battery and power adapter, unscrew the plastic flap covering the RAM and replace the 512MB Chip with 2X 1GB RAM chips.
Sounds cool to upgrade the RAM, the exact model of the laptop is Acer Aspire 5502/5504 NWXMI.. is it also using the same RAM that u provided? if so i will order it from amazon, any specific brand or any brand will do?

and thank you im going to download the avast from the links uve provided
Old 04-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...A3LKWIQ3PBTNT2

i want to order this ram is this okay?
Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I would go this way: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B0091TJB9C

Old 04-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Okay do 5502 ram can be installed on 5504 board? Coz when i googled .. The latency is diff for 5502 than 5504.. Im sorry im quite noob when it comes to RAM

5502 is 1.7GHz and 5504 is 2GHz... I have the 5504 and my friend has the 5502.. Plan to buy him too.. That is why im asking :)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Do not download what you mentioned in Post #7. For 5502/5504 choose what I said in Post #8.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Do not download what you mentioned in Post #7. For 5502/5504 choose what I said in Post #8.
okay thank you
Closed Thread