Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Best Anti Virus software??

This is a discussion on Best Anti Virus software?? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Guys would you know by any chance which one of the best virus software that certain can detect and remove

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Guys would you know by any chance which one of the best virus software that certain can detect and remove "Hard-to-remove" virus/malicus/spyware that hid in my windows program 100%. I have AOL SSC and it SUCKS! To confirm it, I done AOL SSC scan, it did not detects any viruses/spyware/malicus... I went into www.microtrend.com and it list tons tons of virus/spyware/malicus files that found in my computer.

I also have Ad-Aware and Spybot software too but I don't know if it does any good since its free. So any suggestion which anti- virus/malicus/spyware software would you recommend the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi...

For AV programs, there's only one I back 100%:

NOD32

Superb detection rates, low on resources, easy to just leave alone and let it get on with things, fairly straight forward to configure the advanced settings to get the best from the program.

For Anti-Spyware programs, I recommend:

Ewido
Pest Patrol
Spysweeper can be good too

Hope that helps :)
Old 07-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster_uk
Hi...

For AV programs, there's only one I back 100%:

NOD32
Yeah im with him on that one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Security Manager
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Hi

There is no AV that will detect everything. What you need is a good combination of protection - a mixture of AV and anti spyware. I use all the stuff listed in my sig below - and I've never been infected. All the programmes listed below are free, are tried and tested and are recommended by virtually all analysts involved in cleaning spyware.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to donie Send a message via MSN to donie

The guy above is true to the bone . I run mcafee antivirus and for my firewall adaware too check there website for tweakes and treats but now and again i use housecall or pandascan there free just to check my system( bogies) infection
Old 07-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

donie, I do have Panda, Hijackthis, and such other free scan program, but they do not help removing hard to remove files... As of now I am having hard time removing file called 3b3cb50.exe which is the malicous file been found by treadmicro... I repeatly delete them, restart, it came back on. I am just looking for a software that can actually detele the hard to remove files because this file as I metioned slowing my computer down.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Have you tried Unlocker?

https://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Where is the file located? Does clearing out all your Temp directories help...C:\WINDOWS\Temp, C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp etc?
Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
Registered Member

nickster_uk Well I have similar program to it... I forgot what it was called but I simply left mouse click, and highlight/select "Delete file on next boot" This is what I did trying to delete 3b3cd50e.exe... but apparently it came back after reboot. But here, I will try unlocker anyway, and I don't know this is the solution. Apparently there is are file(s) that probably prevent enternal removial after boot out. I.e. when windows start up again, the file would be looking for 3b3cd59e.exe and if its not there they would create a new one in WinNT/system32 folder such as prefetch thing So obvious i need a manti malicus/virus software that is able to detect it and remove it without having it comeback again.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Clear your Prefetch folder, clear C:\WINDOWS\Temp and your temp internet files/history and profile Temp folders.

Check your start up settings to look for anything that may relate to or point to that file name and remove it.

Also....before you delete it next time, try right clicking on it and selecting properties to see if you can find out any more info on the file as that may give you some clues on permanent removal.

If all else fails, post a hijack this log file as there may be something in there that links it :)
Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks nickster_uk, I followed everything you say above... and I got it solved. my computer is back in business and it was big relief... Once again Thanks
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
Happy to support TSF!

My System

No probs, you're welcome :)
Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

Well I used MacAfee for a long time but recently changed to Karspersky Anti Virus Personal Pro and found it very useful.
Closed Thread