Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Reformat?

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  nickster_uk 
#1 ·
I have a hp pavilion 763n, I just did a reformat and went through the whole process of setting up computer name, language, and time zone and all that stuff that you in that menu when you first start xp. When I click in the finish button to finish the setup it just freezes and nothing happens. I've waited 2 hrs and still nothing happens. Ive tried doing the registration again but it keeps on freezing when im about to finish.

#2 ·
Hi dynoman..

first thing to check is the quality of the disc. Are there any scratches, marks, dirt or other signs of damage on the data side of it? Also, did you format via the install disc or did you use a different utility...did you choose the quick format or full format and what file system did you select?

Another thing to consider is a possible failing hard drive so it may be an idea to download the manafacturer's diagnostic utility which you'll be able to burn to bootable CD or make into a boot diskette and run some exhaustive checks on the integrity of the drive.

#8 ·
You will need to find out the make of the hard disk and then download the manafacturer's diagnostic tool.....if it's a Seagate drive, you'll need a utility called SeaTools, if it's a Maxtor, you can use PowerMax (I think??). Although there are some generic ones out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.