Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

bad bios checksum

This is a discussion on bad bios checksum within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. my old mother board died! (soltek) i've put my new M/B ASUS P4S800DX. problem is when i boot the computer

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #1

Cool

my old mother board died! (soltek) i've put my new M/B ASUS P4S800DX.
problem is when i boot the computer message bad bios checksum keeps displaying.... even when i insert the CD that came with the MB nothing happens??? help any one plsssssssss!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

You can try taking out the CMOS battery for a little while to let it reset. If that doesn't work you may need to flash the BIOS.

CMA

(P.S. This should probably go in Mobo section)
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #3

you can also try changing out the bios battery and see if that helps out. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #4

When you set up (Configure) the bios, when you click save settings and exit, it basically counts all the zeros, all the ones, all the bytes, all the words etc and creates a number called a checksum.
Now each time it boots up, one thing it does is to count up and compare. If there is a difference, you get a bad checksum error.
This is normally caused by the motherboard cmos retention battery (the shiney coinlike thing) getting weak or going dead.
You unplug and open the computer, look for the battery and copy down the number (usually 2032 or 2074) and go buy a new one.
You quickly swap them out and then boot to the bios setup (usualy press del to enter setup or press F2 , etc it will say on the first splash screen.
How to configure your bios

You will need to probably "load optimal defaults" make sure the hard drive (primary master) is set to auto defined, and cdrom (secondary master) set to cdrom and then auto detect drives . Confirm any other settings are correct and save settings and exit.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus
Oshwyn is correct. Initial booting and booting after reseting the BIOS will cause this error to occur. If you have setup the BIOS and you know the battery is good then the BIOS chip itself may be bad or there's a fault in the connection between that and the backup battery.
Closed Thread