Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Anti-virus,malware,spyware help Please.

This is a discussion on Anti-virus,malware,spyware help Please. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use windows xp. Can someone please recommend an anti-virus program that will also remove any spyware, or malware. There's

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

I use windows xp.

Can someone please recommend an anti-virus program that will also remove any spyware, or malware.

There's so many products out there, that for someone like me, I just don't know what to get. I don't expect free, but I can't pay an arm and a leg either.

Thanks so much,
Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

No product will protect you from all infections and none can remove everything out there. Many free products work just as well as the paid options but nothing will protect you 100%. You, the end user, are the best defense.

The best method for protecting a system is to start with secure the system and being knowledgeable about online safety.

Running Windows with a limited user account, keeping ALL software updated and removing any software that is not used can help to reduce the chance of infections.

More information can be found here:
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ed-525915.html

Here's one independent study on the effectiveness of AV products running on Windows XP:
AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: Jul/Aug 2012

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Security Team
Trainee II

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it is free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

As previously stated, there is no one program that will stop all viruses and malware. You need to have good browsing/downloading habits, and a few programs in your tool box to keep you safe. All though you cannot have more then one AV product on your computer at one time, you can have a few Malware removal tools.
As Sarla said, Microsoft Security Essentials is a great free Anti-Virus program. You should also have Malwarebytes anti malware.
Closed Thread