Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

AHCI (SATA) after Windows installation for Motherboard ASROCK K10N78FullHD-hSLI R2.

This is a discussion on AHCI (SATA) after Windows installation for Motherboard ASROCK K10N78FullHD-hSLI R2. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is it possible to install the AHCI (SATA) drivers for Windows XP for the a.m. motherboard after OS installation ?

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is it possible to install the AHCI (SATA) drivers for Windows XP for the a.m. motherboard after OS installation ?

I downloaded the AHCI drivers from the manufacturer’s site and tried the F6 method with the Windows XP installation CD. Unfortunately there are two diskettes and XP recognizes only the first one as driver diskette, he asks for the second one and even if inserted he keeps asking for the second one.

Somewhere on your web page there are some instructions, recommending to add a registry key and to copy ahcix86.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Driver but in the downloaded drivers there is no such file.
As already mentioned required drivers are on two diskettes and do not fit into one single diskette.

So how can I install AHCI (SATA) drivers on Windows XP without having to reinstall the OS ? And if not possible, how do I reinstall Windows XP with the F6 method if it does not accept the second diskette ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi,

It's possible - I have done it myself. There may be different procedures depending on what SATA controller is on the motherboard, but first you need to find a WinXP SATA/AHCI driver from the manufacturer.

With the PC running in IDE mode:
Open Windows XP's device manager and expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. You should see an SATA AHCI controller - right-click that one and choose "Update driver". Browse to the driver you downloaded and find the correct .inf file. If the downloaded driver is an .exe file you have to extract it first.
With the driver installed, restart the PC and enter BIOS. Change the hard disk mode from IDE to SATA/AHCI.

If that doesn't work you can slipstream the SATA driver to the XP install disc: How to Slipstream Your SATA Drivers Into a Windows XP Installation CD Using nLite
Old 04-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Device Manager does not accept the ACHI driver updation. It says that the drivers are already updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2016, 01:23 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Here are the instructions for Enabling AHCI in the Bios after Windows XP is installed: How to enable AHCI after having installed Windows XP
Old 04-01-2016, 02:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

No driver updates are accepted. It says they are already updated. If setting AHCI from the BIOS blue screen appears short after Windows logo.
Safe mode resets the PC
Is there no way to install the drivers manually, somehow ?

At least if it would be possible to use the F6 method. But there are 2 diskettes, together 1.6 MB, impossible to put on a single diskette. There is only one inf file "nvgts.inf" and bunch of dll files. Maybe not all are useful, but which one ?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you follow the instructions in the link in post #4?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

And - since Windows says the driver is already installed - did you try starting the PC with the hard disk controller in SATA/AHCI mode?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

From the device manager this option is missing.
I have set it from the BIOS,Windows Logo screen appears for a short moment, but then I get the blue screen.
Why does the Device Manager not accept the SATA drivers in the first place ?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

In the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" from the Device Manater there is nothing like "serial ATA controler" (see attached screenshot). Not even in Windows 8.1 I have that option !
This is probably the reason why the Device Manager says the driver already are updated.
Where on earth is the SATA controler ???

I have set ACHI from the BIOS,Windows Logo screen appears for a short moment, but then I get the blue screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Device Manager.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	277098  
Old 04-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

You should install the chipset (VIA Hyperion Pro) driver. Download here: VIA Drivers and Support Packages Download

Is the SATA OnChip enabled and set to IDE mode in BIOS?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

What do I chose at step 3 and 4 from the indicated link ?
What is the SATA OnChip ?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Like I wrote in post #10 - you need the Hyperion Pro driver at step 3. From step 3 the page will take you to the download (no need for step 4).

Click image for larger version

Name:	via.png
Views:	108
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	277249

By reading the manual for your motherboard you will see that there's an option to enable/disable the SATA controller (= SATA OnChip). Make sure it's enabled.
Closed Thread