Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Admin privileges issue?

This is a discussion on Admin privileges issue? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I'm trying to inject an DLL with an old program, which worked fine before I re-installed. My old setup

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Hello.

I'm trying to inject an DLL with an old program, which worked fine before I re-installed. My old setup was Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 + All updates.

My current setup is the same, Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and all updates available through Windows Update. (except sp3)

However, it doesn't work. I think it's a privileges issue. My user account is "Administrator" and a part of the "Administrators" group. I've also enabled the "Debug Programs" privileges on my account, even though it's already on by default for administrators.

It fails on this function:

GetWindowThreadProcessId()

It just returns 0. Even though the HWND i'm passing to it is correct (checked, 100 times.)

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

Hello and welcome to the forum,

What DLL and what is the program your trying to inject the DLL to?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikthedog View Post
Hello.

I'm trying to inject an DLL with an old program, which worked fine before I re-installed. My old setup was Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 + All updates.

My current setup is the same, Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 and all updates available through Windows Update. (except sp3)
It fails on this function:

GetWindowThreadProcessId()

It just returns 0. Even though the HWND i'm passing to it is correct (checked, 100 times.)
Hi Vik - 2 things, 1) Which program are you using to inject the DLL, and 2) When you reinstalled, did you do it from an image, or from CD/DVD 'The Long Way'?

-Crit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #4

New hdd, installed from cd. Like I did last time, when everything worked fine :P.

i have the same setup now as i used before and im using the same program as before. i must have missed something though. is there any program i can run which can tell me if im really admin or not? :p or anything like it.

thx a lot
Old 04-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Vik,

Changing/checking the administrator privelages can be done in Windows, as described below:

Quote:
First, log on to Windows XP through an account with administrative privileges. Once you are logged on, you need to access the Control Panel to make changes to User Accounts.

You can get to the Control Panel by clicking on Start and then clicking on Control Panel. Once you have the Control Panel window open, double click on the User Accounts icon to access the User Accounts Properties window. If you don’t see this icon, click on “Switch to Classic View” on the left side of the Control Panel window. Double click on the icon and the User Accounts Properties window will appear.

In the User Accounts Properties window, click on “Change an Account.” Then click on the account whose administrative privileges you want to change. Click on “Change the account type”. From here, you can grant and revolk administrative privileges
Note, you might want to right click the program shortcut you are launching and select 'Run As Administrator' - This might be all that is causing the issue. I say this as I am admin in the biggest way on my local Vista x86 workstation but I had to disable UAC and install WinBubble to get a program running as local Admin - It's odd.

-Crit
Closed Thread