Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

ActiveX controls

This is a discussion on ActiveX controls within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I keep getting this dialog box from IE that says: "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hi, I keep getting this dialog box from IE that says:

"Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?"

I have never has this happened before. This dialog box keeps popping up every time I change screens, I have been clicking on the YES box because I'm assuming that's the direction I should take.

How can I get rid of this annoyance and what does it mean.

Thanks,

vigilant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

ActiveX controls are small programs that are downloaded to allow your internet browser to run "some" internet application properly.
Example: VPN or remote computer connections through your browser, internet picture editing, online programs that do the job of other programs like Microsoft's internet exchange which acts as a internet version of Outlook email.

Now that you understand what activeX controls are, you can see that they
can be very dangerous especially if malware or viruses use them for harmful purposes,
but they can be very helpful for doing such things as I pointed out in the above paragraph.

Here is another angle on what activeX controls do: https://www.microsoft.com/protect/terms/activex.aspx
How to disable them:
"START" menu > "Control Panel" > "Internet Options" > "Security" tab > go down to "Custom Level" > scroll down to "ActiveX controls and plug-ins" > "Disable"

How to delete previously installed activeX controls:
Open "Internet Explorer" > "Tools" menu > "Manage Add-ons" > a list of activeX controls should come up and you can select any and press "Disable"
How to delete activeX controls in IE 7: https://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/disableie7activ.htm

Hope this helped
Closed Thread