Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Activate Windows window is blank

This is a discussion on Activate Windows window is blank within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Windows XP Professional build 2600 SP3 What happened is I contracted a massive and nasty rogue antivirus. Had my computer

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Windows XP Professional build 2600 SP3

What happened is I contracted a massive and nasty rogue antivirus. Had my computer down for over a month. Having been unable to find the reg entries that disabled my malware-bytes, spybot S&D, combofix amung others I came to the conclution that I needed to do a repair install. Due to issues with the repair installation was forced to deactivate windows and reset my Oobe in order to even log in to Windows. This left me with two problems the need to activate Windows and a serial that shows as registered and active. I left it running on the Out of box experience wile I went looking for a fix and/or a new copy of Windows XP Professional SP3 with a new serial.

Here is where it gets weird, right up untill the other day the activate Windows window functioned correctly and had been for twenty six days, it started doing this with 4 days left. I've tried everything I can think of short of a second repair install and I still can not get it to work again.

What can cause this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

I think you need to reformat the drive and do a fresh installation. This should rid of your issue at hand. Please back up all your important information if possible before performing the task.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
I think you need to reformat the drive and do a fresh installation. This should rid of your issue at hand. Please back up all your important information if possible before performing the task.
Unacceptable, I have nearly irreplacible software on this PC. I had to put my disk drive at serious risk to get a piece of hardware opperational. The downloaded software for it from the manufacturer did not work thus requiring me to put a damaged CD into my drive and installing from disk. This piece of equipment is important not only in my personal use but also my online work. The computer is functional with very few exceptions with some minor annoyances, mainly the activation ballon. This little nusance does not warrent the risk I will have to take to reinstall that equipment again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Did you have IE7 or IE8 installed when you did the Repair install? If they weren't uninstalled first that can cause problems with Activation, as the Repair install puts IE6 files back on,but doesn't remove the new files added by IE7/8, so you have mixed versions.

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Check the Show Updates box
If you have IE8 installed, uninstall any IE8 updates, then uninstall IE8
Restart the PC, then repeat the above for IE7.

If Add/Remove Programs doesn't list IE7 or IE8, but you know one of them was installed:
First, set the system to show Hidden and System files:

In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
Check the following:
Display the contents of system folders
Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck the following:
Hide extensions for known file types
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Right click My Computer, click Explore
Navigate to C:\Windows\ieXupdates (where X is 7 or 8)
Click View | Details
In the right pane click the Date Modified header to sort by date
In the right pane, double click any KBXXXXXX folders starting with the newest folder, then double click the spuninst folder.
Double click the spuninst.exe file.
Once all the updates are uninstalled:
Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ieX\spuninst (where X is 7 or 8) and double click spuninst.exe
If you have both ie7 and ie8 folders, uninstall ie8updates first, then ie8, then ie7updates, then ie7.

Some updates may require you to reboot, do so if requested.

Then re-install IEX as desired.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutcaste View Post
Did you have IE7 or IE8 installed when you did the Repair install? If they weren't uninstalled first that can cause problems with Activation, as the Repair install puts IE6 files back on,but doesn't remove the new files added by IE7/8, so you have mixed versions.

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
Check the Show Updates box
If you have IE8 installed, uninstall any IE8 updates, then uninstall IE8
Restart the PC, then repeat the above for IE7.

If Add/Remove Programs doesn't list IE7 or IE8, but you know one of them was installed:
First, set the system to show Hidden and System files:

In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View tab
Check the following:
Display the contents of system folders
Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck the following:
Hide extensions for known file types
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Right click My Computer, click Explore
Navigate to C:\Windows\ieXupdates (where X is 7 or 8)
Click View | Details
In the right pane click the Date Modified header to sort by date
In the right pane, double click any KBXXXXXX folders starting with the newest folder, then double click the spuninst folder.
Double click the spuninst.exe file.
Once all the updates are uninstalled:
Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ieX\spuninst (where X is 7 or 8) and double click spuninst.exe
If you have both ie7 and ie8 folders, uninstall ie8updates first, then ie8, then ie7updates, then ie7.

Some updates may require you to reboot, do so if requested.

Then re-install IEX as desired.
Yup, I see IE8 updates. I had uninstalled IE8 VIA the add remove programs some time prior to the infection but I never though of the updates that where on the PC, I actually thought those would be sent when IE8 was removed.

Additionally, I had read something about that shortly after the repair installation wile looking for a fix the my explorer not running giving me a blank desktop. Along with that I also saw something pertaining to WMP11 causing issues as well, coming back to that makes me wonder....now that I stop and think about it Windows kept popping up a request to install WMP7 which I kept saying no to considering I had WMP11 installed on here before the repair installation. All of a sudden I am reminded that I got pissed and gave in and installed WMP7 when I wanted to play a song from my computer for my wife the day before I encountered this issue.

Wile I am processing the IE8 stuff, do you think the WMP may have some blame in this?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I wouldn't think WMP would be related, but it's hard ro say with the way some components share code, and the exact sequence things get installed/updated

Some people have had success just uninstalling IE8 and leaving the updates, others not, so who knows?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutcaste View Post
I wouldn't think WMP would be related, but it's hard ro say with the way some components share code, and the exact sequence things get installed/updated

Some people have had success just uninstalling IE8 and leaving the updates, others not, so who knows?
Well, I am reinstalling IE8 right now so.....we'll see if that fixes it, if not I might have to try reinstalling WMP11, which will suck because I will have to use a second computer to get the installer, if that'll even work.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

try the following to activate winxp. I could be wrong but it sounds like you will have to call microsoft.

https://www.command-tab.com/2007/03/1...nutes-or-less/
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Gone | Not Forgotten

I guess I will ask the question, why did you not activate windows when you had the chance?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
I guess I will ask the question, why did you not activate windows when you had the chance?

BG
Re read the post, it's in there.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
Gone | Not Forgotten

Well excuse me.........

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread