Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Accessing renamed account

This is a discussion on Accessing renamed account within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to set up some accounts on my XP Pro SP3 system. I have some accounts set up, but

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm trying to set up some accounts on my XP Pro SP3 system. I have some accounts set up, but wanted to change some names. I know that if I change an account name, the directory name stays the same, and I didn't want to get confused later on if I was ever doing some stuff on a directory level.

I used this page to copy the settings from my account (named "Main") to a new account named "Admin". I had problems getting access to the folder while in the 3rd account, so followed these instructions to gain access. Once I got it copied, I loaded Admin and found it looked exactly like Main, which is what I wanted.

But then, I went back into Main and everything was gone. XP was acting as if it was a brand new account. In Documents and Settings, I found there were now TWO Main accounts. "Main" and "Main.DARKSIDE" (DARKSIDE is the "full computer name" found in System Properties). I can tell by the directory sizes that Main is the fresh, new account I see in my account list and Main.DARKSIDE appears to be my original Main account (being over 6GB in size), which is now absent from the list of available accounts.

I am not sure how my Main got renamed to Main.DARKSIDE. How do I get things set back so that I get my original Main back appearing in the account list? How do I access Main.DARKSIDE again?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

Anyone?
Closed Thread