Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

4 folders of files waiting to be burned to cd disappeared.

This is a discussion on 4 folders of files waiting to be burned to cd disappeared. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was transferring pictures and files from my old A:drive floppy disks to CDs so I would not lose them.

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was transferring pictures and files from my old A:drive floppy disks to CDs so I would not lose them. I copied and labelled over 100 discs sorting them into 4 different folders on the CD/DVD burning screen. I selected the first folder and told it to write the disc. It did that perfectly but when I returned to write the second folder to a new disc all of the waiting folders had disappeared. I have searched the C: drive and it does not find the folder names or any of the files names I had put into the folders. I'm frantic and do not want to have to copy and label all of those floppies again. The computer I'm using to do this is not my own. Can anyone help me please?

I was transferring pictures and files from my old A:drive floppy disks to CDs so I would not lose them. I copied and labelled over 100 discs sorting them into 4 different folders on the CD/DVD burning screen. I selected the first folder and told it to write the disc. It did that perfectly but when I returned to write the second folder to a new disc all of the waiting folders had disappeared. I have searched the C: drive and it does not find the folder names or any of the files names I had put into the folders. I'm frantic and do not want to have to copy and label all of those floppies again. The computer I'm using to do this is not my own. Can anyone help me please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Troubled

If the CD was never burned, those files were never "in" a folder. They MAY have been saved in a temporary file somewhere, but it only looks like they are in a folder prior to a burn.

This happened because your method was wrong, it seems. Had you first copied the files/folders to a folder on the "C:\" drive, they would have been safe. Then you could have transfered them to CD.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Bitsyf No need to post another thread for the same problem. I have merged your 2 Threads.
Right click any file and choose Send To.. CD Drive. A Balloon appears saying These files as are ready to be burned to a CD. Click the Balloon and it will show you the files. Delete the file you don't want. You can also Copy the files and put them in there own folder on the Desktop till you are done burning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you for combining my posts. I didn't know how to delete the 2nd one. I clicked the balloon and the files did not show up. The CD window was empty. Is there a way to find them in that "temporary file somewhere"? I've tried all of the SEARCH options. I started with Windows 3.1 so I know something about finding files but have forgotten much of it. To redo this project would not be as much fun as doing it the first time.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

The files are in a temporary directory just for burning. Once the burn is completed, then the temporary file is deleted. Since you completed the burn, the files no longer exist. When you do your project over, do not send the floppy files to the CD burner but instead create a folder on the Desktop and copy the files form the floppies to it. Then you can send the whole folder over to the CD drive and no loose any data.
Closed Thread