Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

16 Bit MS DOS Subsystem Error

This is a discussion on 16 Bit MS DOS Subsystem Error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am new to this forum but hope you guys can help me out. I've had a look around

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I am new to this forum but hope you guys can help me out. I've had a look around and though I think this problem has been mentioned before none of the solutions I have found so far have cured my issue.

When trying to install an old 16bit MS DOS .exe file I get the following message:

"A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could not written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available".

Obviously I have checked and the path is correct and the disk has plenty of space. I have check that AUTOEXEC.NT is present inside System32 and have even copied it from the Repair folder incase it was damaged.

I have tried booting into space mode and running the EXE file but I get the following error:

"A device attached to the system is not functioning" - perhaps it requires some functionality that is disabled in safe mode.

I have also tried running the file from inside a virtual machine but the same error message is given.

The only thing I have noticed is that the file path specified within the error message is READ ONLY protected and even then I un-tick this within the folder properties it reverts straight back again.

Many thanks in advance for any help given

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the name of the DOS program?
Where is the file installing to? Many times a program will try and install to the Temp folder which it cannot run from. If given the choice, change the location where the program installs to, like the Desktop or Downloads.
You can also right click the .exe file and choose to run in Compatibility mode. Right click, go to the Comparability tab. Put a check in the Run Program in Compatibility mode and choose XP or Windows 98 or 95. Click OK and run the program.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

If you REALLY want to run that program, the best option I've found and used with clients is TameDos. I've deployed this with several clients running a variety of older business apps and it worked great for them. I believe you can even run it as a demo for 30 days and it support windows from 2000 to 10. And no I'm not affiliated in any with them, it's just the goto app I used when someone really needs to old program to run.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Closed Thread