DRIVER VERIFIER - Windows 8, 7 & Vista
If your BSODs are 3rd party software related, the Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD. Please feel free to run the Driver Verifier; however, system information is also needed. Please see BSOD Posting Instructions
1. Create a Windows System Restore Point - *** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8.1/ 8 - - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows*8) | HP® Support
2. Run the Driver Verifier -
START | type verifier | make these selections -
1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -
▪ Special Pool
▪ Pool Tracking
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)
▪ Miscellaneous Checks4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD
- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows
... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up
... • Select "System Restore"
... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1
- For Driver Verifier status
--- select last option, 1st screen -or-
--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)
- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot
- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.
- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use
If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump, zip it up & attach to your next post.
About Driver Verifier
Driver Verifer information
--> driver verifier Windows Vista - Microsoft Search
Driver Verifier issues within Vista/ Windows 7
Driver Verifier Special Pool Feature
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
Memory dump options - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649
If you have any questions, please send me a PM.